Thread: Corrian Clean up: how to?

Corrian Clean up: how to?

I just resurrected a salvaged white Corrian vanity top with molded in sink bowl. I believe it was yanked from a hotel reno about 15+ years ago. It has been outside for the whole time. The top is okay but does need cleaning. The underside however is stained almost black from being under trees and covered in leaves for all this time.

Is it possible to clean this thing up to a reasonable condition and how to go about it?

If the bottom is not able to be brought all the way back could it be painted to cover the remaining staining?

FYI it will not be going into a client project, it will be used in the mother in law apartment.

(Mods: if this needs to be moved, go ahead, I didn't see a more likely spot for it.)

Corian installers work the show surface with sandpaper -- finer and finer sandpaper. No reason you can't do the bottom surface the same way. Usually the bottom surface is rougher, so you probably shouldn't invest the work to get a glossy surface there.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-28-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Corian installers work the show surface with sandpaper -- finer and finer sandpaper. No reason you can't do the bottom surface the same way. Usually the bottom surface is rougher, so you probably shouldn't invest the work to get a glossy surface there.
    I agree as I have worked with lotsa solid surface materials. I sands out well and also quickly! You should be able to bring out the shiny gloss in a matter of MINUTES-start @ 150-180, work up to where you like it. Also it does not clog the sandpaper as some woods do.

Bruce

The stain can only be on the surface since Corian is a hard plastic.
    Pressure wash it.
    Steam clean it.
    Use a stiff brush and detergent, lacquer thinner, whatever you have around that cuts the stain.
    Abrasive cleaning will work as well. If there aren't any scratches start with 220 grit on your ROS or use Scotch 3M pads on your ROS which would be my preference.

If you can get your hands on it, use 3M microfinishing film instead of sandpaper. It's manufactured to tighter tolerances than sandpaper... all of the cutting surfaces are the same size. The grit grade is also backwards from sandpaper, the lower the number the finer the grit. A world of difference when it comes to solid surface.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    use Scotch 3M pads on your ROS which would be my preference.
    This is what I would recommend first. My father has fabricated a lot of counters out of solid-surface materials and the Scotch pads are the final "sanding". They also work great on existing counters if you have a lot of light scratches.

I would avoid steam cleaning. Corian sinks and other Corian shapes are thermo formed, and steam will soften the material. You may end up with a bigger mess than you have now.

Tom,

I often thermo-form Corian, it takes 325 degrees F for 20 minutes to get it to soften in a heat press. Steam cleaning should be pretty safe.

Corian won't really take a gloss. the normal finish is sand with 220 then sand again with a grey scotchbrite pad.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve,

A gloss finish on Corian is easy, use a buffing wheel and white buffing compound.