Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet scrapers

Cabinet scrapers

I'm considering getting this set from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...310&page=32633

Any thoughts? I've never used a good scraper (or didn't know how to sharpen it ) but i understand they're much faster than sandpaper and work well with figured woods.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Hey Brian. I bought one of those when I bought my first card scraper and still use it. It probably does'nt do as well as a real burnisher but it's easier to use.
    You still have to polish and square up the scraper before using it. Look around on the web, there are several articles on sharpening scrapers, i just can't think of where they are right now. I think it's the Fine Woodworking site.
    I do know the last issue of Fine Woodworking had a nice article on sharpening scrapers and setting up handplanes that helped me out alot
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

Brian, I am just finishing up a new kitchen table which is made from curly maple. I bought my scrapers (the 3-pack variety) and burnisher from Woodcraft. I had some difficulty getting it honed the right way - it took several attempts. But once I figured it out, it worked really well.

Here's a link to a site that shows how to sharpen them: click here.

Be well,

Doc

That's an awful lot for money for card scrapers...I'd shop around....you don't need all those fancy jointers and holders.

And here's how to sharpen them:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...rdScrapers.htm

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/scraping/scraper.htm
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks guys!

I should have mentioned it but... If you scroll to the bottom of the page my link points to you'll see 2 items to "buy". Click on the VIEW link for the second item and a new window shows what's in the set. From their discription, it sounds like it's got all the tools to make an idiot like me produce a usuable scraper.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Yup....I have the whole Veritas scraper setup....file jig, file, variable burnisher and several card scrapers. I wouldn't go any other way. I bought mine in Jan of this year and the price for all of it was about $20 LESS than what they are asking for it now. Very good setup and idiot proof IMHO....cause I have to have stuff that is simple to help reduce my learning curves.!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Thanks guys!

I should have mentioned it but... If you scroll to the bottom of the page my link points to you'll see 2 items to "buy". Click on the VIEW link for the second item and a new window shows what's in the set. From their discription, it sounds like it's got all the tools to make an idiot like me produce a usuable scraper.

Brian
    Brian, that's the setup.....get it and you'll be glad you did.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I also have the complete Veritas set and have been pleased with hit. Bob is correct that there are far less expensive solutions...but I went with "instant gratification" at the time I bought mine. I just don't have the free time to make stuff like this, although I probably would if the situation were different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Squaring the edge.

A friend of mine showed me a really easy way to achieve a square edge. hold the scraper almost like you were getting ready to use it with thumbs in the middle and fingers around the ends. Bend it slightly and set it edge down. (He uses a diamond stone.) due to the bend it will sit vertically so as you pass it back and forth (length-wise) on the stone it will be square. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Here's a Two Cherries Card Scraper for all of $3.84:

http://mikestools.com/detail.asp?product_id=520-5750

Can you cut a square rabbet in a block of wood? Sure you can.

Sorry to be such a squeeky wheel on overspending....but for every poster out there recommending something fancy, there's two to a dozen newbie lurkers on tight budgets who are becoming terribly discouraged...

...I get their emails.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-26-2004 at 11:58 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Dennis,

How about a scraper sharpening lesson the next time I am out your way? I would really like to be more profient with mine, as I want to minimize sanding.
    Joe

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I bought it when I first started out because I though it would be easier, but now I never use any of them. I occasionally use the jointer, but it really isn't necessary, as Bob has shown above. I never use the holder because I don't really like the way it feels. I like using a scraper by hand better. I never use the burnisher either. I find that it's easier to grab a chisel and just use the back of it instead. It's not the best burnisher, but it does a pretty good job. One of these days I plan on buying some drill stock and making my own burnsiher.

I would either buy the two cherries that Bob posted or a Bahco . If you really want the lee valley set I'll sell it to you for $40 shipped. It's in barely used condition.
    Last edited by Gary Bingham; 09-26-2004 at 12:25 PM.

do yourself a favor and go bob smalser's route. i have the gizmos, but once you do it bob's way, you won't go back. i know it might be faster, but take the time, true up all the edges really perfect first with a file, then waterstones. i polish mine to 6000, supporting them with a piece of wood to keep them straight.. but really, just make sure that everyshing is square and 90 degrees. i even polish the sides of the scraper.

burnishing them does not take a lot of force. i'm still not done with all my scrapers, but the gizmos are in a closet and i haven't touched them.

sascha

Lots of good input, thanks!

Bob, i greatly appreaciate you putting so much into your response. You make it look simple and being a machinist i've a workbench drawer full of dowel pins and drill rod so build your burnisher would be straight forward.

I'm still waffleing between spending the extra money for the kit or just getting scrapers and teaching myself. This could work out to be a birthday gift from the better half (43 on the 30th!).

It looks like the general opinion is scrapers are a worthwhile addition to the shop......

Hmmmmmmmm

Brian

The luthier's burnisher is just a fanciful whim...

...works well, but the back of that old Buck Bros gouge also shown in the pics works just as good....just don't turn the edge over too far.