Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Glue/Pot questions...

Hide Glue/Pot questions...

I am transitioning from "Yellow glues" to hide glues. Wanting to go a bit more period.

Where did you get your glue pot? Any suggestions or things I need to look out for?

Thanks.

The Best Things has a nice assortment of electrics. Luthiers Mercantile has a neat brass pot and a hot plate to go with it.

I got a 1 pint electric. Works OK with small bottles. I haven't used it straight in the pot with a brush. A quart size would be better with bottles I think.

I like the water-jacketed gluepots but they're hard to find nowadays; maybe a source in Britain would still have them.

For my own shop, I picked up a used hotplate somewhere and made up a double-boiler with a saucepan and enough water to surround a smaller stainless steel bowl inside the saucepan. Worked fine and gave me enough control that I didn't either boil away the water or cook the glue. Takes a bit of watching after, of course, and in fact I didn't use hot glue all that often once I was on my own.

I have a small crock pot that LOML found at Walmart a few years ago for about $9. I use a tall olive jar (after removing the olives and placing them in an appropriate beverage) or pickle jar for the glue. I hang a small meat thermometer from the side to monitor water temperature. Works great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks for the tips.

Anyone try the one from Joel at Tools for working wood?

I like the crock pot idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Roberts View Post
    ... I like the crock pot idea!!
    Since my earlier post, I tried to find a reference to the crock pot I have. It's a Rival Crock-ette which is no longer made, but I saw some on craig's list when I Googled for it. Any small crock pot should work. Mine is a 5-cup unit so I put about two cups of water in it to start. I found that a wide-mouth 1.5-cup Ball jar actually fits better than the jars I mentioned earlier.

When I got interested in using hide glue, I saw the prices of "official" glue pots and decided I wasn't that interested! Then, LOML (in her most logical and diplomatic voice) said, "That glue pot thingie looks a lot like a crock pot with a jar in it!" Hmmmmm..........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Rival makes a product call the Hot Pot Express that can be had at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond type stores for about $10. I use a small glass baby food type jar to contain the glue, works great.. Happy gluing

Neglected to add that you should purchase a meat thermometer for $8, use the meat thermometer to calibrate the thermostat on the Hot Pot for 140-150 degrees (it was almost all the way on the left on mine). The Hot Pot heats up pretty fast, so I just let the water bath get hot, then went the temperature stabilizes I place the jar with the glue in the water,,
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 10-29-2009 at 8:01 AM. Reason: More detail

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Many years ago I used a crock pot and it was just a tad too hot, but it worked good as far as glue joint quality goes. I never though about putting a jar inside the crockpot. Such a simple idea and no reason it shouldnt work.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I use a thermostat controlled baby bottle warmer (I picked up at a yard sale for 2 bucks) filled with water and use a small mason jar and a candy thermometer. (I clip the thermometer to the jar to keep the tip up off the heating element)
    GluePot1.jpg GluePot2.jpg

Works great....I can control the temp to keep it between 145*-150* (supposedly hide glue becomes ineffective above 150*)

I've used the small crock pots before (potpourri crock) but like Tony mentioned the temp just kept getting hotter....
    GluePot3.jpg
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Robert is on the money - look for the Rival pot that has a knob on the outside to control the temperature - it doesn't have a scale, but I leave a cheap instant read thermometer in the water next to the glue jar. The Rival is not a crock pot but is designed to boil water for tea, etc, so it heats up pretty quick.

The Norse Woodsmith has a great tutorial on glue pot construction here.

Good luck!

Ken

get a $30.00 crock pot.
    one with a temperature control that is variable

As an aside you can get a Light Dimmer to get fine control of the temperature too.

I am from the UK and you might find the giue pots hard to come by now but you have double boiler ( chocolate pots over here ), they do a good job as I use one myself.

I can post a pic of mine if it would help.

I have been told electric wax pots (used to heat wax for waxing legs etc) make good glue pots.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got my inspiration using the Rival "Hot Pot Express" from the following article:
    http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57.htm.

I made a wooden stopper of sorts to fill the spout opening, holding a thermometer in the water bath. My Hot Pot has a much smaller knob in the center of the lid, so I had to cut the hole for the brush offset a bit.