Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knotted Curly Maple HF

Knotted Curly Maple HF

Every once in awhile I grab some of the ugliest chunks of wood and turn them just to see what if. This piece was roughed out a year ago and set aside to dry. Sure enough, the knots cracked as well as the stressed areas of the form as it dried. Oh well. Filled in the holes and cracks with epoxy mixed with used coffee grounds and turned it anyway.

Maple hollow form with lots of curl, knots, bark and even a small branch. It is 7” in diameter x 6 ½” high and turned to 1/8” with the exception of the very bottom which was left at about ¾” for ballast. As thin as this piece is, it is actually heavier than you would expect when you pick it up. Sanded to 320 and finished with multiple coats of gloss poly.

Knotted Curly Maple HF v1.JPG Knotted Curly Maple HF v2.JPG Knotted Curly Maple HF v3.JPG Knotted Curly Maple HF v4.JPG Knotted Curly Maple HF v5.JPG

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    I like it a lot !!!!! Those cracks and knots are right up my alley..........Speaking of the coffee grounds; Are they fresh, still damp, or do you let them dry before you use them? I've been using brass filings a lot lately. I get them from my local Home Center; they have two key making machines and they save the filings for me. It gives a nice accent once in a while. Again, great job!!!!!!!!!1
    Ray Binnicker

Beautiful!!
    When you say roughed..How thick?
    I Love your work!
    Blessings, Steve

Great form Steve. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Binnicker View Post
    Steve,
    I like it a lot !!!!! Those cracks and knots are right up my alley..........Speaking of the coffee grounds; Are they fresh, still damp, or do you let them dry before you use them? I've been using brass filings a lot lately. I get them from my local Home Center; they have two key making machines and they save the filings for me. It gives a nice accent once in a while. Again, great job!!!!!!!!!1
    Ray Binnicker
    Ray, go to your local craft store and get some gold sparkle. Add a bit to your brass filings. It'll jazz it up a bit. I get blue sparkle and add some to the turquoise that I sometimes use in turnings.

Nice HF Steve. Sometimes using flaws such as cracks around a knot as a feature will dress up a somewhat plain piece of wood. Here in Az. we do that with mesquite using turquoise. Both Az. products.

Wally

Beautiful as usual.

Just wondering, do you use a steady rest for this?
    Last edited by alex carey; 10-28-2009 at 7:01 PM.

Beautiful piece Steve. Love all the curl and the dark repaired cracks add a nice contrast to the light color of the wood. Must say your photo work is outstanding too...Bill...

Very nice... I love the form and the "imperfections" are very attractive. I don't think the piece would be as nice without the cracks

very nice Steve, could you tell us more about your coffee grounds, i put some used coffee grounds up in a sandwich baggie one time, 6 months later they still had not dried, i ended up using the freeze dried stuff, i would like to hear any pointers on using the 2 part epoxy and coffee grounds

This is one of my favorites that you've turned. I have a thing for all the quirks, flaws, and other works of art that mother nature hides in the wood. The form is beautiful and the sharp contrast of the coffee filler really adds to the overall look of the vase.

Stunning as always. The talent /abilities never cease to amaze me here.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone - glad you liked the HF.

Steve - this piece was roughed out to about 1", soaked in DNA, wrapped and dried until turned this past weekend.

Charlie - I put a bunch of used coffee grounds in a plastic margarine container over a year ago and let them dry. All I did was throw some into the epoxy mix and stir them in until the epoxy stiffened up. Then forced the mixture into all the cracks and voids - covered each void with duct tape to keep the epoxy in and let dry overnight. Works great. I always overfill the holes - meaning I mound the mixture over the void - then I sand everything smooth once dry.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very Nice!

Steve beautiful I love it with the imperfections. You could dye it! G

Steve that is a beauty. I really like the imperfections. They really make the piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve that is really sharp! Thanks for the explanation on how you use the coffee grounds. Is the inside of the vessel darkened with anything or is it just the shadow of the inside? It looks so dark in the one pic I wondered if you used anything on it? Again great work.

John