Thread: Planer gear box oil (high pressure) what do you use?

Planer gear box oil (high pressure) what do you use?

Hi, I am going to change the oil in my planer's gearbox. The manual says you can get high pressure oil from Delta but I'm sure it's spendy.

What do you all use for oil in the planer gearbox?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Delta told me the oil needed an EP 7 additive, and I bought this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4ZF30

Kinda pricey, and the gearbox takes a little over 16 fl.oz. (IIRC), but it's probably still cheaper than Delta's lube. It's also a bit of a speciality item, I couldn't find it anywhere but Grainger. To be honest, I've seen this question asked quite a few times, and a lot of guys are using almost any gear oil you could find at the auto store, in almost any viscosity. I think a good 90 weight oil would serve you well....
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

I used EP90 gearbox oil in mine, available at any auto supply store.........Rod.

There are hypoid gear lubes available at auto supply stores with the EP7a right in there already.

Redline Shock Proof