Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just to set things straight.....

Just to set things straight.....

All the "hulla-ballew" about "Hobbiest & Commercial Use" or also referred to as "Legitimate business" in a number of post last night.

I've attached some photos of my "hobby shop", something that is supposed to provide enjoyment & relation after a hard days work at the office. To date, all I've made are pens for some of my friends & employees - no sales tax - no sales --- just gifts. Hope I don't offend anyone that makes/sells pens!

Please note missing from the following photos... no cash register, no display cases, no samples, no retail setup & no customers.
    Looks like a hobby to me. (might even be a beer bottle somewhere in the background)

I hope this clears up any misconception relative to intent as I can't believe the sensitive nature of folks when I simply inquired as to where could I get the JDS samples folks were talking about.

I've been in business my entire adult life and I'm disappointed with the sense of entitlement in a free enterprise world.

Bugs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Dang,

That is a nice work shop!!

Bugs, this isn't about you personally. These type of things pop up from time to time. Some of us are as you say a bit sensitive about our work and income.

Enjoy you time there!!!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Donald,

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly have a husband who would be majorly jealous of your set-up. I on the other hand would be completely impressed if my husband would keep the area that he does have as neat and tidy as you do.

Don't take things to heart too much. Generally speaking I haven't found anyone on the Creek that actually bites. I think what we are hearing is some frustration with the general economic environment out there. Perhaps the whole ranting thing could have been prevented if someone had just said JDS only sells to industry, you could try looking.....

Anyway, chin up and have fun in that huge shop of yours!

By the way, your pens are beautiful.
    Colleen Williams
    Epilog Mini 18 35W, Corel Draw X3, Roland EGX-20, Roland GX-24, Brother PR600C, HP Photosmart 8850, Epson 1280 for sublimation

I'll trade you my tax id for your hobby shop???!!!!

Now I've got the kosher police reading my posts to see if they need to send it to the revenue department. Why can't they just go back to chasing moonshiners????

Seriously, nice shop.

How far are you from Lousiville? PM me if you're close...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Very impressive shop. So meticulous and clean.
    Cliff Patrick
    Titan Industries, Inc.
    South Point, OH

L-Star 4896, Photoshop CS4, Corel Draw X4, PhotoGrav

Blog Entries
    Holy sheet of plywood, Batman... daddy wants! My workshop still has pink insulation foam showing behind bare studs.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Beautiful workshop, ooops, hobby room. You say "no displays" but the whole thing looks like a fake perfect dream workshop display to me! Could be a sales display in a woodworker's store!

I'm not sure how you can relax in that place, looks like a theme park for people like me! Perhaps we should hold a SMC meeting at your place!

Honestly, your pens are gorgeous and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try out those funky mugs. But they are just gimicky and ugly to me, why don't you get some ceramic/glass cermark and do a nice mug? The rest of your shop will appreciate you keeping the riff raff out.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Beautiful workshop, ooops, hobby room. You say "no displays" but the whole thing looks like a fake perfect dream workshop display to me! Could be a sales display in a woodworker's store!

I'm not sure how you can relax in that place, looks like a theme park for people like me! Perhaps we should hold a SMC meeting at your place!

Honestly, your pens are gorgeous and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try out those funky mugs. But they are just gimicky and ugly to me, why don't you get some ceramic/glass cermark and do a nice mug? The rest of your shop will appreciate you keeping the riff raff out.

cheers, dee

I second what Dee said.

Man your place is beautiful dude!!! We are a commercial 55K square foot business and our offices aren't even that nice!!!

Now I want a laser and your shop to boot!!!!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Bugs,

I hate your shop!! It makes mine look.....well.... PATHETIC??? Obviously your not a "real" business, I mean if you were your shop would be messy, right? With all the orders pouring in for a "real" business why, who would have time for clean-up, only sleep/work right? Please don't take me seriously as I'm only kidding. I am in 100% agreement with your entitlements statement.

Bruce

If the doors were a little wider, I think you could fit my house in there.

Way cool!
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by donald bugansky View Post
    ...(might even be a beer bottle somewhere in the background) ...
    Found a water bottle in picture #7 but no beer bottle.

But it looks like a small bar fridge would fit under the Trotec...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Awsome shop!!! mine is full of saw dust

Looks nice but you did all that work taking pictures to prove what? To start with, how many people have expensive lasers just to play with? It is a commercial machine, not regularly in peoples homes. Not for your sake but for the industries sake, I would want people trying to buy "our" supplies to have trouble. Lots of JDS's products have their logo name on them or at least on their boxes that are meant to be passed on to the customer. Marco does the same. Marco sells some nice clocks for under $5.00 that all we have to do is put a plate on and sell them for 15-20 bucks. The clocks have Marco right dead center on the face. Do I want my customers to be able to buy direct from them? No. I can understand your frustrations but you really should understand. You mentioned your "employees". That means you must own a business. What ever kind of business you are in, would you want your customers to easily bypass you? I have a well astablished business in a shopping center and have trouble getting some accounts setup being that someone in my area already has an account. I just have to continue and understand.

Oh Dear God in heaven

Bugs,
    Could I interest you in adopting a 33 year old? I'd make a good son, I do chores around the house and don't talk back. I'm a medic with 14 years experience, comes in handy from time to time. Just think it over, no pressure or anything.

That shop is just unreal!

~Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by John Frazee View Post
    Marco sells some nice clocks for under $5.00 that all we have to do is put a plate on and sell them for 15-20 bucks. The clocks have Marco right dead center on the face. Do I want my customers to be able to buy direct from them? No.
    There's a concept called "value-added" that you might want to become familiar with.

(There's another one called "thread-hijacking" that apparently you're already familiar with.)