Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Lathe for pen turning

Special Lathe for pen turning

Hello every one.
    Away from the forum for ages because of all sorts of problems, I am very happy to be back with you.

I forgot to say in the title, that this lathe is for large pens

Maximum diameter between centre: 1200mm
    Maximum diameter outboard turning 2500 mm

Now that is a fancy lathe. What is the inboard swing in inches? 2500mm is something like 98 inches; I have never seen a bowl that big.

Wow, now that is a big lathe. That is so cool that the upper beds rotate away for larger turning. I've never seen that before. Now I'm going to have to go to Vicmarc's website and look it up.

Must have dropped some serious coin on that one.

I can't wait to see your first pen!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post

I can't wait to see your first pen!
    hum... I do not have the right wood for it, I'm afraid I will have to go and pay a visit at Sequoia Park

i dont think you bought the right lathe. i have a nice lathe that will work better, i'll trade you so you can have the right machine
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

OMG that is a monster. I didn't see it on the site or anything. Gotta see some specs but this might be my new dream lathe.

That thing has so many swiveling parts, it makes my head hurt. I'm guessing MSRP about $12k USD.

I'd say that's pretty close to a midi. I bet bottle stoppers and drawer knobs would be fine on that, along with the pens.

Drool worthy! I can't wait to see the first project you turn that uses the whole swing. I wonder if you chucked a propeller on that bad boy whether it would fly?

What can I say. I need one. Yep... Need need need one.

Especially since I have never maxed out my Mustard in terms of capacity. I think I would need a nice big scaffold to turn on it though...

Joshua

Woof!!! is that a proto / beta unit? I've never even heard a buddy talk about that and he's a Vic distributor in AU.

Awesome!

Interesting tidbit: Vicmarc received $433,979 in Commercial ready grants two years ago for development of it:

http://www.technologyaustralia.com/n...rs/issue53.htm

Here is the description of it:

The Vicmarc VL600 will be the most versatile and innovative woodturning lathe in the world, capable of turning the smallest of
    pen barrels to workpieces 2.3m in diameter and 1.3m long. It will not just turn round shapes but also triangular, oval, square,
    pentagonal and hexagonal shapes. The VL600 will be manufactured in Australia and sold primarily in Europe and USA (with
    annual export sales growing from $700,000 to $2.7 million within five years).

And if this is the VL600, where are the VL400s and VL500s? They must have something else in mind down the road...
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 10-29-2009 at 6:11 PM.

Awesome!!!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I want one!!!

Claude, That thing has got my heart racing!!! Just by it's shear size and the very cool things that it can do I want one bad!!! It is an incredible looking machine!! So really what is the cost? I am going to get the winning lottery ticket right away!!

Thanks for posting it !

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very impressive! Will have to do some reading up on this monster!

Good to have you back Claude! Hope you will share some of your work again real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Tell us more

So Claude - you are a big tease! Tell us more. Where did you find the picture of this beast? What else do you know about it? Google searches reveal very little.