Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridgid Osc, belt/Spindle Sander, EB4424 won't hold belts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    So I was looking at these and it sounds like they are ok? They're around $200 at HD. Should I wait 'till I find one on sale?
    Ken, I think that they are more than OK. I really like both the belt and spindle feature on this machine and it's very simple to change from one to the other. As for finding them on sale, the rebate certificate Ben linked to may be your best opportunity. I haven't seen a sale on these for quite some time.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mitchell View Post
    I bought a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander a short while back. Seems like a versatile tool, at a good price (got it on sale), but so far, I have not found any belts which will stay on the bloody thing, other than the 1 that came with it. Admittedly, so far I have only tried one replacement, Norton brand 120 grit bought at HD, but no matter how much minute futzing action I apply to the tracking knob, the belt either slowly begins to move up, or down. I've read of others having this trouble as well. These particular belts are quit "slick" on their interior, maybe that's a factor. Anyone find a brand of belt that does not do this on this sander? Makes using it a real PITA.

TIA

Dan
    I have this machine and I have not had any issues. I have been using the rigid packaged belts with it. Occasionally a belt will slip just a bit from excessive sanding pressure but I have never had a problem getting mine to track.

I have pushed this machine to do more than it probably should with no tracking problems. Sounds like you might have a bad one.

If your machine is still under warrantee I would contact Ridged and see if they know anything.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Annother quck question - I have a 24x3 table top belt / disc sander and the belt I have produces a bad bump when you sand on it caused by the seam in the belt. It's so bad I hesitate to use it for anything but rough in work. Is this normal or maybe there are belts available where the seam is smoother? Will I have the same problem with the Ridgid sander?

I notice this on my larger 89x6 belt sander too, esp. with finer grits.

I sand the grit off of the face to level the surface. No kidding.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mitchell View Post
    I bought a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander a short while back. Seems like a versatile tool, at a good price (got it on sale), but so far, I have not found any belts which will stay on the bloody thing, other than the 1 that came with it.
    I find maintenance so much less time consuming than repair. I was doing a little P.M. on my sander and had a thought. Check the nuts/posts that the idles carriage rides on. Are they loose enough to allow it to slide but snug enough to allow good control? Just a thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So I was looking at these and it sounds like they are ok? They're around $200 at HD. Should I wait 'till I find one on sale?
    Ken if you're up to a road trip to Commerce, I've seen them here for $99 refurbed. Stock varies daily so call and talk to the manager. He will hold it and/or ship it for you. They have lots of Ridgid, Ryobi, Milwaukee and Homelite refurbs/overstocks.

DIRECT TOOLS OUTLET
    Commerce, Georgia
    (706) 335-7304

There's also a new store that just opened in the Concord Mills Mall, Concord, NC (Charlotte Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I notice this on my larger 89x6 belt sander too, esp. with finer grits.

I sand the grit off of the face to level the surface. No kidding.

I was kind of hoping someone would say the better quality belts didn't have this issue
    ken

You might try this

I have not experienced this problem with my Rigid sander. Sounds like I might be lucky. One thing you might try, which I used on a Sears portable belt sander years ago, is to wrap tape circumferentially in the center of the idler roller. This solved the problem I had, hopefully it could help you.

Did anyone ever solve the problem of the belt slipping off as soon as the machine is turned on? I've adjusted all I can adjust and it still climbs right off the machine. Makes it useless.

Blog Entries
    I use Klingspor belts & I need to do a little adjustment when switching belts, but tracking & slipping have never been a problem. A previous post mentioned the idler bushing needing lubrication. If it's badly and unevenly worn, that could be causing your tracking issue.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected because I've never though to lube that idler.