Thread: "Weekend Doin's"-Halloween Edition

Smile "Weekend Doin's"-Halloween Edition

Friday October 30, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

More rain. That's how this week can be summerized. After 2" earlier in the week we had another inch overnight. It's really hurting the farmers who haven't been able to get in the fields to harvest their crops. Where was all this rain during the summer? At least it's warm enough for rain. These last storms could have produced nearly 3 feet of snow.

At least most of the leaves have dropped from their lofty perches. After the wind predicted for today there really shouldn't be any left, well, except for the oak trees. Why don't oaks lose all there leaves in the fall?

Not sure what I'll be up to this weekend. I did get a lot done last weekend as Saturday turned out to be a really nice day. Got my Christmas lights up [not lit yet] and the fence around my evergreen trees that the deer like during the winter. Really, about all I have to do is mow and mulch one more time and then I can trade the mower for the snow thrower on the JD.

So how's the end of October treating you. Got any big plans for Halloween? What are you going to dress up as? Me I'm going as myself. That's scary enough.

Be careful of all the ghouls and goblins and remember to be SAFE.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

What else?--Working on the kitchen. I have 12 pieces ranging from small trim pieces to 3 2'x8' side panels to spray. Plus installing drawer fronts and doors and getting organized for the install. I also picked up a new bottom tool box earlier this week and need to do some reorganization.

We'll be preparing for - what else? Halloween! I have a few minor things to put up outside (floodlight on the "graveyard" the kids put together, etc) and then of course take the kiddies out T/T-ing. The wife is still recovering, so she'll 'man' the door and give out the treats. The boys are Star Wars characters , so she got me a Darth Maul costume to wear. I expect to sweat my behind off, but it'll be fun.

A local place has apples on "clearance", so I might also pick up a few bushels and try to get some use out of the cider press this year. It needs a thorough cleaning, so I hope to get to that tomorrow so we can use it Sunday.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Well,

The new carpet for the master bathroom and the master bedroom are in town. They will be installed next Thursday. That means I'll be painting the bedroom today and tomorrow.

Saturday afternoon, a doctor that I work with is coming by to test drive my Mustard as he's in the market for a new lathe. I offered to let him drive mine. I think the LOML needs a new paper towel holder and I have some scrap cherry. So.......maybe a little turning.

But primarily.....painting the bedroom.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Trying to get more time in the shop again. But this weekend, I instead did a drive up to LA and went to the Costa Mesa Woodworking Show.

It was pretty weak. I think the economy has taken a big toll on the smaller/medium firms that normally attend.

--
    John C

I turned a pepper mill on my lathe out of some walnut I have hanging around. I'm going to make a bunch for christmas presents, so I needed to work out the bugs with the kits I ordered. I figured out that it would be a good idea to make a jam chuck to fit the 1-5/8" bottom bore instead of using the spur center and that it would be a lot easier to drill the blank and use the jam chuck than to try to drill after turning, and I think I'll define the parting line between the knob and the body before I turn the final shape. It turned out nice, though, I'll take some pics after I put a finish on it.

Tomorrow I'm going to recrown the top tire on my 16" Walker Turner bandsaw since it has a flat spot and saw some more of the walnut blanks.

Weekend

Saturday morning I finally got an electrician to hook up a 220 outlet in the garage. Now I can use my 3hp 220v Belsaw planer with the new blades. I can now use the welder I bought to make some steel stands for some equipment I've had sitting around and actually use it.

I've been getting the shop in order this weekend. Mostly cleanup and machine tuneup. In a couple weeks I will be starting a new set of kitchen cabinets for our house. Fabricating a dust collection hookup and new fence for the old Delta shaper I bought last spring. There will be lots of raised panel doors for the the new kitchen.

Ran a 220 line for my Grizzly 8" jointer, and soon to be converted table saw.
    Cleaning the jointer up.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night