Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest neander effort

Blog Entries

latest neander effort

Once again I find myself doing more trolling on the creek than contributing....hopefully winter will be different. This summer a major influenza for mountain biking developed in our household, so shop time was compromised, but now snow is starting to fly and fun shop work has started again. Here's the latest...from a class I taught out of the shop some time ago. Simple to look at but full of details to build. Curious to know what you do and don't like about it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Like: everything. Don't like: nothing... you did it with out the help of power tools?! This is terrefic, it look realy sharp. what kind of wood and what is the finish on the wood?
    the carvings are stunning.
    Great looking peice!

Blog Entries
    David - yes almost exclusively neander. Tough to do with power-tools even if you wanted to. Glad you like it.

The wood is mahogany (original was walnut). Finish is die, glaze and shellac.

Fantastic work! I like the colors, the proportions, the finish and the carvings are very tasteful. It looks like the M&T joints are drawbored too, so it could outlive your grandchildren.

Just beautiful.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Blog Entries
    What I like, all of it is beautiful.

What I don't like, it is beyond my current abilities.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What's not to like?

Most excellent work!

The only thing I could possibly ever see changing is the fabric...

After all, it's sure to be well used, and will eventually get dirty...

You've made many people very jealous.

Cheers -

Rob

Very, very nice work. I especially like the feet. Not really claw feet but more like Griffin feet. Lovely!

Chris

No cupholder?

Just kidding. It looks great. Do you have any pictures of the bottom side?
    I'm curious about seat support and strengthening methods.

Eric

Beautiful work!! Superb carvings! What's not to like?
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Very nice Joel! Just out of curiosity, about how many hours do you think went into this?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments.

Jeff - I didn't keep track of hours on this one, but suspect there's 150-200 including finishing. The details just take time to pull off. I suspect a good carver could do it in half that time but probably not less than that.

I neglected to mention it previously, but this is a footstool fashioned after the John Elliot example housed by the PA Historic Society. It's about 14" high and 17" wide.

I'm happy with some of the details, but overall it's a bit bulky and could stand to loose weight. Perhaps smaller knee blocks would have helped...anyway, that's what I'll work on for the next one. [well that and the cup holder :-)] I'm also not satisfied with the patination. I keep experimenting to make finishes look authentically old but never seem to achieve a genuine look. I have a lot of respect for those who can pull that off, and wish I could find a good mentor in that area.

If anyone is interested in the ball and claw feet or knee shell carving, I posted a string of videos on YouTube covering those elements for this footstool. Search under AmericanFurniture. They move slow and are boring beyond belief, but do cover the process throughly and methodically.

Very, very nice! Your use of the dye gives a great sense of a gently aged piece.

RD

Wow! What's not to like? It's beautiful. I admire your skills, especially your carving skills. Wonderful work.

Hank

All I can say is WOW! It looks spectacular.