Thread: Wiping stain with mineral spirits?

Wiping stain with mineral spirits?

On a can of Minwax polyurethane I got today, it says to wipe down the oil based stain with mineral spirits prior to applying the poly. I've never done this and was wondering if you folks do?
    Can you also tell me what is the purpose of it?
    Thanks!!!
    Michael

To make sure the surface is absolutely clean and free from containments. Poly doesn't even like to stick to itself (another reason to use a non-poly varnish) so you have to take great care to insure that there is nothing going to interfere with your first coat. Personally, I'd put a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac before putting on the poly just to be sure there is no incompatibility with the stain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you do wipe the stain down with mineral spirits or paint thinner don't wipe very hard and make sure the stain has completely dried and set. I have picked up stain and left a piece streaked and blotchy by doing that. Spraying a seal coat of shellac is a good suggestion.
    And now for something completely different....

A wipe down with a rag slightly dampened with mineral spirits will pick up any last minute dust that may have settled on the surface. Wipe gently and only once. Let the mineral spirits fully evaporate before applying your top coat.

Do not use a store bought tack rag.
    Howie.........