Thread: some of my better works

some of my better works

I posted one of my award winning ornaments the other day and was ask if I had any more I could share with the group. I would be very happy if you can give me your honest opinion of the pieces I list here. As you will be able to see I am only showing ribbons from the first and second places in the shows. I was only able to put two entries into each category I entered and I was very lucky and happy with my awards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they all look great. I really like the hollow form with the dimpled surface, and the smooth lines around it. How did you do that?

-Stephen

Truly works of art Ron!!!!!
    The stippling on the one in the third picture must have taken hours but sure was worth it, absolutely amazing!!!
    Michael

Ron they are beautiful. Really nice turnings. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ron - each and every one of your turnings should have a separate thread to get the attention they deserve! Extremely nice work!

I really like your lidded forms - especially the first (green) one. The combination of rich color, piercing, pedestal and finial is great! Excellent finish!

I find the other 2 lidded forms - with scalloped edges - are also exceptional, both in form and color!

The burned HF sure reminds me of a few Wally Dickerman has turned. Very nice work!

Congrats on your winnings and getting the recognition your work deserves! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ron,

Incredible! You have been holding out on us!

I'm with Steve. Each of those deserves a separate thread.

Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

All are wonderful, I do really like the hollow form (3rd from left). You certainly set another level for most of us to strive for!

The ribbons speak more than anything I could say.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Wow very awesome work. would like to know your texture technique. very impressive.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

10. That's some pretty amazing work.

Ditto the seperate post idea... They all look very nice but I think I'm most fond of the textured hollow form shown third. Would love to see multiple photos of each piece from different angles, lids off, etc

I love the first red lidded one, the burned HF and the maple burl "urn"? they're all awesome. nice work and congrats on the prizes they won.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

The hollow form that some of you have ask about took 12 hours just to do the burning part. I have some pyrography tools with little round balls on them and the marks you see on the turning is done one at a time and I did not lay out a pattern. I did try to keep the lines as close to the same width as I could so that it would give the turning some balance. I turned this piece to the shape that I wanted and then started to sand it, well the top had some soft spots in it and as you can bet the top started to show the effects of the sanding (wavy). I took the piece and set in in the corner for a while because I did not want to do any more with it because I did not know how to save it. One Saturday morning I did not feel to well and my wife had been doing some pyography work the night before so I pick up some of the burners and started on the hollow form. I finished that night about 6:15pm. That was a long day but I kept busy doing something and I still like the finished product.

Thanks for the nice comments and I may some day do multiple picture of future work.

truly beautiful, awesome work. i find it inspriing, and at the same time, makes me want to give up turning . i'll never approach that kind of skill and art. thanks for posting the pics! mike