Thread: Downes & Reader Lumber, and hardwood pricing

Downes & Reader Lumber, and hardwood pricing

Does anyone here have any experience/feedback on Downes & Reader Hardwood Co in Stoughton, MA?

Also....what are people paying for hardwood? D&R has these prices for their "online store" (also eBay)....

4/4 Cherry FAS min 5" wide 7'-8' 7.25/BF
    4/4 cherry 1com &btr min 3.5" wide 7'-8' 4.99/BF

4/4 hard maple Sel & Btr min 3.5" 6.80/BF (7'-8') or 5.75/BF (6')

4/4 red oak FAS min 5" wide 7'-8' 5.66/BF

4/4 QSWO Sel & Btr min 3.5" wide 6' lengths 7.25/BF

now, the kicker - these are all for rough lumber. for < 125 BF, surface 2 sides and rip one edge is another $25. I'm likely to buy in the 25BF range at any time, so it's about $1/BF for this. How does this stack up with what others are paying?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I check http://www.advantagelumber.com/ whenever I compare prices. So far their prices seem pretty decent, not always the best, but usually fairly competitive. Although I don't know how much they charge for shipping. I have noticed that at some of the places I go to when buying wood, they will give you a break on price, so their list prices aren't always really accurate of what you pay, although that varies depending on who you're dealing with.

-Stephen

Better to call them

Their online prices are usually higher than their pick up prices (don't remember it the price includes shipping for the former). If you give them a call, they will give you a retail quote for what you are looking for. I recall inquiring about hard maple and it was certainly cheaper than their online quote.

Check out Craigslist! I sell lumber there, but I am in GA, not MA. My FAS red oak, rough sawn, air dried is $2.00/bd-ft! There are sawyers like myself that may have good hardwood for sale in your area. To me, the prices you posted were high end retail. The small sawyers in your area will most likely offer you a much better value. If you bought from me, it would not be kiln dried, but if you planned ahead, you could store that quantity inside and let it dry to equilibrium in about a month or so and you would be good to go.

These guys may not be too far for you. They are a little on the high side. But, so are most of the lumber yards in CT.

http://www.parkervillewoodproducts.c...hardwoods.html

James

Thanks everyone - I ithink I realized after posting that those prices are probably shipped (their eBay listings are for 25bf packs, "free shipping to the lower 48").

Thumbs up. That's where I buy.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig View Post
    Thumbs up. That's where I buy.
    Thanks Craig!

Northland

Hi John,

I was just up at Northland Forest Products in Kingston NH yesterday, I didn't look at the cherry but 4/4 hard maple FAS was $4.05 and 4/4 red oak FAS was $4. It might be worth a drive for you depending on how much you need.

John

John,

I've been buying from Downes & Reader for many years. Their prices are generally competitive in +100 bf quantities. They also don't mind if you come down and pick from their racks. You can also have 100+ bf surfaced two sides for around 10-15 cents/bf. I don't think I've ever bought more than 750 bf at a whack from them, but I understand that very large quantity (2-5,000 bf) prices are exceedingly good. Might make the hassle of putting together a group purchase worth it at some point.

If you are interested, I can also dig up the name/number of a custom sawyer I've used in RI. I was looking for some really odd stuff - 9/4 quartersawn poplar - he had it for me in two weeks, and at what I considered a fair price (about double that for plainsawn 8/4).

Brian
    Near Gillette Stadium

Thanks for the info. I actually just got back from D&R - my first trip there. Their hours are a little tough for me, but I should be able to make trips on Sat mornings. They had a good selection, and were very helpful. The prices seemed very reasonable - much better than their online/shipped prices. And my 6 year old really enjoyed being my 'helper'.