Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone. This will be my last week on the "new" work schedule as next week I go back to Mon. - Fri. 8AM to 5PM and I HATE those hours.

ANY-WAY......I spent most of the weekend working, trying to get some sleep, but only got 8 hours from Friday to Sunday...Not bad considering the usual 4 hours I normally get Friday to Monday morning during oncall.

I got some shop time this weekend.!! Spent what little time I had finishing up some Freedom Pens I've been working on. I should have a BUNCH to send in later this week.
    <i>I would like to say Thank You to <b>Steve Clardy</B> for pen blanks and "pen kits". All those (40 of them) have been turned.</I>
    Today....I plan on doing some TURNING!!!!! I have 3 projects that I still have to get done....the sewing machine restoration, turn a table leg for a guy that has a 3 legged table, and finish up a 3-tier shelf for a guy at work AND I may have 4 knife boxes to do by the middle of October. Other than that, I don't have a thing to do!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Did a bunch of turnig as noted in the other post with pics. Helped a neighbor with some powerwashing (pointed out the spots he missed). Went to Woorcraft the sale and got some toys.

We are also sitting around waiting for word on one of the new twins that had a seizure last Friday while in intensive care for meningitis and was going in for an MRI this morning. The CT scan showed bleeding in her head but the doctor didn't think it was that bad and that she would absorb the blood as she grew. The MRI should clear up any questions. We hope.
    Last edited by Dick Parr; 09-27-2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Woodworking was the order for the entire weekend, other than picking up a few new shubs at a local nursery we favor. Details of that woodworking are contained in a separate thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12329. Other than that...the weekend is over...darn it! Back to "work"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Worked on the new router table set up. I started out making a stand alone cabinet for it....then changed my mind. Rebuilt the extension wing on my Powermatic saw to include my router station....saved me a bunch of space. Bought some more lumber....no where to put it....will need to make a lumber rack next week.....
    Last edited by Donnie Raines; 09-27-2004 at 11:11 AM.

For the first time in about 6 months, I went into the shop to do something other than empty the dehumidifier or grab tools to take to my Dad's cottage. This weekend I started putting some stuff away. Got lots more of that to do!

Well, I started working on my first box. (Pics to follow - @ work) Found out my TS fence is not as square as I thought. Also started on a birthday present for a WW friend of mine. Played a lot with my hand planes (They work great when they're sharp ) Had great times with some friends from TX and also played a little late night poker (left up a whole $4)

Great weekend!!
    Jon

Saturday I put the 2nd coat of paint on the facia of my new shop. Saturday afternoon...watched a little college football. Neighbor (painter) dropped by....he wanted to paint four doors including 3 for my shops on Sunday. Saturday evening scuffed up the paint on the garage door on my new shop reading it for painting on Sunday. Sunday....portrayed a painting assistant. Now .....only a little caulking and paint the door trim.....the new shop painting will be completely done. Have a good week!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    No shop time over the weekend.

Football all day Saturday

Sunday was somewhat of a sad day. Saw my 23 yr old G.S. off at the airport at 7:00am bound for Ft Greely, Alaska (350 miles northeast of Anchorage) where he will be performing Military Police duties at the new Missile Defense Complex for the Ground-Based Interceptor (GBI)

Fort Greely, Alaska, nicknamed “the first line in America’s missile defense,” is a remote military base that will serve as the initial staging ground for the future U.S. missile defense shield. The Pentagon is currently in the process of deploying six Ground-Based Interceptor missiles at Fort Greely as part of its Ground-based Midcourse Defense system, which will become operational is September 2004

More info on this new defense system: http://www.missilethreat.com/systems/fort_greely.html
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-27-2004 at 11:31 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Interesting weekend. Had a big tool sale to get rid of the dupes, unused, unloved, possessions. Met a bunch of neighbors. One couple got into a fight.
    One neighbor fell in love with my old Cman Phoenix air compressor . Came back 4 times to look, touch, feel, clean and run the thing. Also to work on me to lower the price . I got what I asked for. Hope he's happy.
    Found new life in some old tools by mixing and match parts. Great time.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Football on the TV in the garage both days while working on some projects.

Turned a pen with my daughter - see pics on FP forum!

Started on some new shelving and chisel/screwdriver rack as part of the ongoing re-organization of the garage shop.

Beautiful weather in West TN!

Dave

I spent the whole weekend working on turning marking knife handles, shaping the O-1 tools steel blades and then heat treating and honing them, and finally assembling them. I had a large wholesale order for 40 knives and my stock had become depleted the week before at the LFOD tool auction. I will be spending the next two weekends on making more since Christmas is coming and my knives will be featured in a review of marking knives in the February Popular Woodworking. (not so stealthy gloat) I also started prepping some blanks for wooden spokeshaves for a free class I'm teaching for our guild next month where folks'll get the chance to make a shave in a day. Because of all the time I spent in the shop this weekend I didn't get the lawn done. I'll have to tend to that tonite after work since we are supposed to get the rain from that dying hurricane tomorrow.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

My wife and I spent the weekend scraping and sanding our doug fir floors in the bathroom and a little sitting room. Both had old linoleum with the bathroom having some tough linoleum with a tarpaper type base and really good glue. I have some questions in another thread if anyone has experience refinishing doug fir floors, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12364, especially dealing with stains.My wife spent a couple of hours a day for about 5 days scraping off the bath linoleum then I spent all day Sunday scraping with the help of a heat gun. It turned out great except for a small area around the toilet. Will post pictures on the above thread when they get developed. Hope I can do it justice with the finish. I have today off and will do some more work on the finish, probably work on the stain and pre-condition and stain the small room. Hopefully, I'll have time to run to the Bay Area (San Francisco) and pick up some more DC fittings so I can finish my ducting this week.

The roof and soffits are now done for my shed and I plan to get the windows and door on some time this week. I might even find time to put in the spacers on the roof for the cedar shingles. I am still contemplating the trim package for the shed. Should I go with cedar or wait two weeks for cement fiber board?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

We go back Saturday from a week long vacation to Williamsburg. We spent two full days at Colonial Williamsburg and explored the surrounding area including a visit to the ocean at Virginia Beach. CW was really cool and a spent some time in the various trade shops admiring the work and the tools.

We went to a bunch of antique stores in the area and on the way home where I found a few old tools. The best find was a Disston 12" back saw in great shape. I also found a try square, a pretty old Stanley 110 block plane, and another Disston saw probably a D-20-something from what I saw on the web last night. After helping my wife with the unpacking, I spent some time yesterday cleaning up the plane and back saw and started on the other saw.

I got a few new tools as well. I found a decent 110V Black and Decker 2500 RPM drill for $20 at a B&D outlet that I will be using for pocket hole drilling. I really didn't want to spend $60 on another drill and have been looking for a decent powered, high speed cheapie. I also got some clamps at a flea market.

I spent Saturday getting car work done, shopping for plants at a local nursery, and researching wood characteristics (to produce some information cards for my turnings that will soon go on sale at a new coffeeshop/gift store in Minneapolis), followed by turning several tea light candle holders. Sunday was highlighted by the Vikings win over the Bears and more turning of tea light candle holders. I guess I was kind of productive this weekend.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.