Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural fiber broom for cement shop floor = $$$

I'd pay that much if it was self propelled

A $175 broom should come with the St. Paulie girl doing the sweeping!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Come on! Read it right. David has it. 1 DZ = 12 brooms. Sounds like a deal. I wouldn't make one for 15.00, or 17.50.

I have one made by a friend. LOL a real witches broom. I have to keep it locked up this time of year!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by David Peacock View Post
    Brooms in post # 10 are sold by the dozen.
    LOL

NOBODY TELLS ME THESE THINGS!!!!!!

You can sweep? You mean you should clean "up"?!?!?!

'spain to me the concept. Move a tool around on the floor to .... make it.... not sawdusty???

I don't get it.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

THIS IS FROM WoodWorkers Guild of America.. http://www.wgoa.com/tips the writer suggests the following. Jim Gerus
    2. Tuway 24-in. "Astrolan" Dust Mop, #AS-24-5, $9, "Jaws"24-in. Snap OnFrame, #SN24-5, $4, "Jaws" Snap On Handle, #SN-H-54, $7

I'm a clean freak. You'd be surprised by how often my visitors say they've never seen a cleaner shop. The problem with that is they also think I do no work! Long ago I switched from a push broom to a dust mop for cleaning my shop floor. Using a dust mop is much faster, more effective, and less dust is stirred up and made airborne. The dust mop is a three piece setup; a frame, handle, and mop head.

I've tested many mop heads made from different materials. This 100% nylon "Austrolan" is the one I like best for cleaning up dust and wood shavings. Dust mops work best on smooth floors, but they are forgiving, so don't dismiss them if your floor is a bit rough. The mop heads can be laundered, and they last a long time. I own two mop heads which I alternate and wash about every 6 months. The mop setup I own, and shown here, is 36" wide. That size makes for faster cleanups, but it's more difficult to get into tight spaces. If I were buying a new mop, I'd buy the 24" wide setup listed above. 36" mops are available too if you want that. You can order what you need from Summit Distribution, 888-292-9998.

(Tuway American Group - www.tuwaymops.com)

Quote Originally Posted by james gerus View Post
    THIS IS FROM WoodWorkers Guild of America.. http://www.wgoa.com/tips
    link no workie

The domain name www.wgoa.com is for sale

Prices in the region of US$4950

My DC is my broom.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My DC is my broom.
    Me too, Myk - except for the handtools. I haven't figured out how to hook a hose to my LV BUS to grab those shavings before they hit the floor!!

I have very little debris or dust from my machines - some from the TS because I don't have an over the blade pickup. But, increasingly I am using handtools. Still no dust, but I do use the brooms to push the shavings to my floor sweep pickup for the DC.

" I assume those here who know about such things could describe the process that gets a cement floor "polished" looking."

This is usually done when the floor is cast. It's called "power floating". Essentially you wait until the cement begins to set and is still friable but walkable on. You then grind away the imperfections and generally polish it.. Messy job and needs a skilled operator.

This would be fun.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

13. I don't know if your shop is a garage with a cement floor, but I usually find running a strong fan or a blower for a few moments gets a lot of dust out of the corners and out from under things. In the shop, I just use a Toro blower and blow the dust out onto the street (on a rainy day) or onto the driveway where I sweep it up. In the house, I turn a ceiling fan way up, let the dust settle, then run the vacuum.

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The only brooms I have ever used are the cheapest decent handled broomstraw broom I could buy - $10 or so. I also use a push broom - also the cheapest one I can buy. The one I have is probably 25 years old. I can't tell that there has ever been damage to my floor?!?!?
    What he said - - - twice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cefai View Post
    " I assume those here who know about such things could describe the process that gets a cement floor "polished" looking."

This is usually done when the floor is cast. It's called "power floated". Essentially you wait until the cement begins to set and is still friable but walkable on. You then grind away the imperfections and generally polish it.. Messy job and needs a skilled operator.
    I hate to be a pain...

But concrete is placed, screeded, floated and then troweled

If you have to grind away the imperfections you did something wrong...

the above picture is a super power trowel