Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural fiber broom for cement shop floor = $$$

Natural fiber broom for cement shop floor = $$$

My shop is small with a cement floor. I'm not going to change that, but to clean up dust it's hard to get around corners and under cabinets with my push broom. I have a natural fiber broom, which is recommended for cement floors, in the garage on the other side of the house, and it's used regularly to keep out leaves, etc. OK, so I'll get another one, right? I went on line to see how much they were: $175.00 is a typical figure. Anybody out there with a cement shop floor use the cheaper "polyfiber" brooms have any problems with them? I like a clean shop, but $175.00 for a broom is outrageous.

I am not sure I understand this situation. My shops have all had concrete floors, as have my garages. The only brooms I have ever used are the cheapest decent handled broomstraw broom I could buy - $10 or so. I also use a push broom - also the cheapest one I can buy. The one I have is probably 25 years old. I can't tell that there has ever been damage to my floor?!?!?

$175 for a broom????????? Where are you shopping? Same place Donald Trump would? I hope it is gold plated or something.As John said any broom with a sturdy handle and well attached bristles from the local hardware store should last for years.

I have a push broom that I have had for years, it is the polyfiber type broom and works well. With any broom of any type there is going to be some fine dust it will not get plus it puts dust in the air.

Now the best that I have found to use on cement is the shop vac, gets that really fine dust out of the cracks in the cement. Plus there is no dust in the air. The best is to seal the floor first, but I didn't get that done so the shop vac is the next best.

Blog Entries
    Maybe its the finish on the cement? My floor is quite smooth. I assume those here who know about such things could describe the process that gets a cement floor "polished" looking. Don't get me wrong, it's just a garage but it isn't . . . chalky(?). Does that describe what I'm trying to say?

Anyway, I use a syntho broom made for smooth surfaces (fine bristle) and it does OK but, for really clean, like Bill, I use the vacuum.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

$25 to $35 should get you a decent polyfiber broom which works as well as anything in my experience. If dust is a big issue get some sweeping compound- a little goes a long ways; a box should last for years. Generally I sweep up the big stuff and shop vac after. No clogging and I don't have to change out the filter bag as often.

I don't like brooms. They put dust into the air where you have to breathe it and leave fines on the floor. I just have a 20' section of 4" flex and a rolling vac head about 1 foot wide that we use to "sweep up". Corners get a shop vac wand adapted to the 4" flex. Much cleaner and no airborne dust...
    JR

$175 must be for a U.S. Government Broom! Same manufacturer who had the contract for $900 toilet seats!

A decent shop vac with hypoallergenic pleated filter element and disposible *drywall* filter bag keeps all the dust in! None in the air! Only problem is when you suck up that special little *thing* you've looked for so long!!

I have a tapered poly broom in the shop which gets into corners nicely! Nicer is the heavy duty poly dust pan to go with it! Less than $10 bucks at WallyWorld!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I like a clean shop, but $175.00 for a broom is outrageous.
    It aint real to post a link and a picture...

maybe they are using unicorn bristle...

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    It aint real to post a link and a picture...

maybe they are using unicorn bristle...
    He's for real alright http://www.bobthejanitor.com/uns932c.html.

Maybe this is the janitorial version of a Starrett, Felder, Lie-Nielson, etc.

Blog Entries
    1. What carat gold is that broom made out of?

2. Cement is an ingrediant in concrete not a building material. An example I use with my students is cement is concrete as flour is to biscuits. Or your garage does not have a cement floor just as you wake up in the morning and do not eat a handful of flour.

gold broom

What makes the shipping weight on this broom 32lbs.?

Ed

Brooms in post # 10 are sold by the dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by David Peacock View Post
    Brooms in post # 10 are sold by the dozen.
    Then, that makes my $10 broom a great investment - the value has gone up to about $12.50!! I did better over the last 3 years with my broom, than I did with my IRAs!!

Wow, 175 bucks for a broom. I thought the prices here in Hawaii were bad. No offense intended. If I could afford that broom I'd have one.
    Go to Chinatown and get those short Chinese brooms for $3.50.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 10-31-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to capitalize Chinese.