Thread: breakdown John Deere Model M

breakdown John Deere Model M

I posted a message a few weeks ago in the main forum talking about the beginning of my model wooden tractor. I figured I would drop in here and post some screenshots of how things are coming along.

The whole goal is to build a proportional, semi-realistic model that can be broken down into major components. You'll see the hole that runs midline- that represents a wooden bolt I'll call the "driveshaft" that will hold the separate parts of the gearbox, transmission, engine, and finally thread into the radiator. The wheel weights will be bolt caps that will go through the wheel, axle housing, and thread into the gearbox.

I started with some basic hand drawn sketches from memory, and am now in the process of refining the design. Sparky in NH offered to measure his brother's Model M and he trudged into 6": of snow the other weekend to measure the dimensions. A guy at work is helping to model the tractor in CAD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I find it ironic that you live in "New Holland" and are creating a John Deere model.

Hi Andrew,
    I was looking at picture #5 (Rear Wheel) and noticed an issue. The front wheel should line up with the center of the rear wheel, NOT with the inside of the rear wheel.

I have a couple pictures that clearly show this. Let me know if you want them.

Sparky
    Northern Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I find it ironic that you live in "New Holland" and are creating a John Deere model.
    Now that's funny! City slickers are lost.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Andrew
    Enjoying the challenges you are facing with this project. Appreciate your attention to detail also!.
    Pls keep us posted on your progress.
    Gary
    Napa, CA

Interesting endeavour, Andrew. Ditto Sparkey on front wheel lining with center of rear wheel. Keep up the work...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler