Thread: Hey California.

Hey California.

I thought that some of you might be interested in this. If not to enter than just to visit the museum when it shows all of the work. This announcement is on the Furniture Societies website. Pete

"CALL FOR ENTRIES - Open to all California Furnituremake..."
    Fri Sep-24-04 09:41 PM by dflem

GOOD WOOD

Furniture and Objects From Sustainable Materials

CALL FOR ENTRIES
    Deadline: Postmark January 15, 2005

The Woodworkers Guild of Southern California is calling for entries for Good Wood: Furniture and Objects from Sustainable Materials.

The theme of the show is the development of environmental consciousness in the making of furniture and objects. The show will offer an opportunity for fine woodworkers to exhibit work made with environmentally sound materials and methods, and to address the issue of sustainability through design.

Good Wood is open to all California woodworkers. The show will open at the Pasadena Museum of California Art on April 9th and move to TreePeople’s new conference center in Beverly Hills, on May 1st 2005. It will open at Trios Gallery in the design district of Solana Beach in June 2005 as part of the Furniture Society conference in San Diego.

Eligibility: The work must be primarily wood, at least 70% from an alternative source. Alternative sources include, but are not limited to, wood from certified well-managed forests; salvaged lumber; recycled/reclaimed wood; wood alternatives; scrap wood. (See attached detailed description of alternative wood sources).

Jury: Jo Lauria, Independent Curator and writer, Hal Nelson, Director, Long Beach Museum of Art. Sam Maloof will choose awards for craftsmanship, sustainable materials and design.

For more information contact the W.G.S.C. at 562 621 3241.

Entry Forms can be downloaded at http://www.woodguildsocal.com
    or send a SASE to 1536 W.25th St., San Pedro, CA 90732
    Pete Lamberty

Interesting...thanks, Pete! Are you submitting anything?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Yeah, I saw a slightly longer version of that. The fine-print details are:

* You have to pay an entry fee for them to even consider your work.

* If selected, you are responsible for delivering the piece to them, and installing it in their exhibit. They don't say, but I presume you're also responsible for moving your piece from location to location -- they're going to have three. You're also responsible for removing your piece at the end of the show(s).

* All pieces must be for sale, and they take 50% of the selling price.

....um...I think I'm going to be busy then, thanks.

No Chris, I will not have anything to enter into the show. I just don't have the time to make the things that I think of. I have many design ideas but not enough time. I just thought that some of you in California might be interested. I feel that even if there are costs involved it would be fun to see something that I made involved in something like this. Also you would get your name out there a bit. Bye, Pete
    Pete Lamberty