Thread: Kitchen Stools

Kitchen Stools

I'm now in the midst of a kitchen cabinet project, but managed to squeeze these in before that really got going.

These are walnut and cherry. I intended to not use any mechanical fasteners, but after cutting some of the tenons way too short, I had to counter sink for some screws. That little mistake turned out okay, though. The cherry plugs add a nice contrast to the overall look. The seat was going to be all cherry, but I ended up not having enough and had to add the walnut. Again, another happy accident, as the result was pretty pleasing to my eye.

The finish is 2 coats of shellac followed by three coats of sprayed on water based poly.

These stools were really fun and gave me some good practice on basic mortise and tenon work and angle cuts. Not working from any drawing or plans made for some interesting problems, but forced me to stretch my skills in a positive direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason, your stools turned out really nice. I like the contrast between the two woods. I am sure they will go well in your new kitchen.

Sam

Super chic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Strauss View Post
    Again, another happy accident...
    Jason, your comment reminds me of the late TV artist Bob Ross. His favorite phrase was "We never make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents." I would have to say you did a great job with your "happy little accidents." The stools look great, and personally, I think the combination of woods adds greatly to the overall appeal of the stools.

Sometimes, not being bound by a plan or plans results in creativity that would have otherwise gone undiscovered. I rarely use much in the way of plans. That's not to say that anything I do results in creativity! But, it does seem to be much more satisfying to me to develop a project as I go. I am sure that method involves much more in the way of effort, but I learn so much more in the process.

Great job!

Very well done and I also like the contrast of the walnut and cherry. I'm glad some are willing to experiment as I probably would not have used them together until I saw it done here several times and the results are pleasing. Work on those M & T's as they are a snap once you get accustomed to them.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great work, I really like the splines in the ends of the seat, thinking it will add considerable strength.