Thread: Sears GMC SCMS

Sears GMC SCMS

Anyone out there have any experience with the GMC tools sold at sears?
    Specifically looking at the 10" SCMS Sears Item# 00912408000 Model# LSMS10UL. I have a rush job, and my good saw got stolen a few weeks ago. The price is right for a saw to temporarily replace the stolen one. My insurance company is jerking me around on the stolen tools, and I need one most tic.
    Thanks,
    Mickey

Blog Entries
    Most tool reviews I have seen that include a GMC tend to rate them poor to dangerous. I would think an inexpensive Ridgid would win out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Really? What issues are/were mentioned? I searched several review sites and found neither good, nor bad. The only reviews I could find were glowing comments from Sears customers, on Sears' website...that's why I asked here.

I know one fellow with a GMC router that the shaft lock broke on the first use. Not sure if he ever got it fixed.
    The new Craftsman routers are top notch. Take a good look at them.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-02-2009 at 9:33 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    The complaint on the CMS (not even a slider) was that they could not get any sort of repeated accuracy on it. This model was from Lowe's who carried them at the time. During the test the casting that held the pivot pin broke allowing the blade to move in other than the planned arc of attack but there were no injuries. I'll see if I can find the review. The GMC was added to the list just to see how a sub-$xxx (forget the amount) saw would compare with the rest of the pack. This was about 3 years ago IIRC. I'll see if I've still got it bookmarked.

Hmmm, not finding it although I did find the Fine Woodworking review that included a HF slider(?). I doubt they are any worse than any other $100 tool where the competitors offerings are $300 - $500. For example, I have a $19.00 Harbor Freight "sawzall" that I bought to tear out the old garage fixtures when I bought my house. It just won't die. Noisy, inconsistent speed and power, gets hot, etc. It ain't great but it does keep running ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-01-2009 at 8:31 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bought my GMC sliding miter saw about 5 years ago in Hawaii. I have done several home improvement jobs and furniture projects over the years and have had no problems with it. I saw the new one at Sears and it doesn't apear to be much different. I would purchase another one but have no intent of shopping at Sears again since they decided to jack up my interest rate.

Appreciate it guys! As long as it doesn't fly apart in my face, I can put up with noise, and I've got a lot of experience in miter saw repair and tune up. We've got several low end DeWalts at the plant, and they've all got dummies connected to them. These boys could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer.
    Just had me worried when you said "dangerous" Glenn.

I saw reviews on Amazon, and some Australian site a few years back (after Lowe's stopped carrying them, Amazon was the only place). Years back, someone I know had bought one, but is was more for deck type work. They didn't think it was good enough for crown/molding work. (they never swapped the blade either)

I bought the GMC CMS with a gift card, and got a bargain on a Freud LU85R010 and once tuned up, it has worked well for me. (better then anticipated) One other place and saw that you might look at (price verse what you get), Costco, has the Hitachi SCMS that doesn't have the readout for $399. Depends on what your using the saw for, and your budget.

I had one of their benchtop table saws at one point and it worked well enough. I wasn't doing anything real precise with it though.

I have a G M C that I got from Lowe's. It saws O.K. The only fault I have with it is nobody has blades to fit it . The arbor is an odd size so I don't use it anymore. Good luck, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I saw reviews on Amazon, and some Australian site a few years back (after Lowe's stopped carrying them, Amazon was the only place). Years back, someone I know had bought one, but is was more for deck type work. They didn't think it was good enough for crown/molding work. (they never swapped the blade either)

I bought the GMC CMS with a gift card, and got a bargain on a Freud LU85R010 and once tuned up, it has worked well for me. (better then anticipated) One other place and saw that you might look at (price verse what you get), Costco, has the Hitachi SCMS that doesn't have the readout for $399. Depends on what your using the saw for, and your budget.
    My current budget is tiny, and at 130 bucks, this saw will (hopefully) get me through a job I promised before my delta 10" got stolen.
    If and when my insurance finally pays off I'll probably upgrade to a 12" slider, though I'm not all that crazy about lasers and dro's. I just don't do enough work with a miter saw to justify all of that expense. I'm pretty good at hitting a pencil mark and I generally use a bevel gauge to set my angles as I don't run into that many truly square corners in the older places I work on. When the upgrade comes I'll probably lock the 10" in at 90* and use it for a chop saw.