Thread: DC ducting

DC ducting

After trolling around this site and reading the article in FWW that came today, I plan on installing rigid duct work for my new Shop Fox 2hp DC. I am leaning towards 4" schedule 20 pvc for low cost and ease of installation. My question for all you learned ones is this:

When calculating the maximum run my dc will handle, do i include the vertical components (up and down the walls) or just the horizontal ones (across the ceiling). My guess is yes, with the exception of the drop down to the dc, but I am not sure. As I am planning this, the 2hp 1550 cfm dc doesn't seem all that big!

Thanks

Hi Rob, if you don't have a fan curve for your dust collector, divide the claims in half.

That leaves you at about 750 CFM which is too much for 4" duct, that's in the 6" range.

Start with your planned layout, input the CFM requirements for your machines, and design your ducting.

Then see if your collector has enough performance for what you're planning.

If not, change the collector or the design.

And yes, you include the entire pipe length in your calculations, including the flex hose, which is calculated separately (High loss).

Regards, Rod.

Thanks, Rod. I am taking yor advice and using 6 inch 2729 pipe

Hi Rob, what were the results of your calculations?

Regards, Rod.