Thread: Hinges for bathroom vanity doors

Hinges for bathroom vanity doors

I am constructing some cabinet doors to replace the old ones on a vanity. Due to existing conditions, I need to make the doors with a rabbeted lip around the inside of the door. I would like to use the European type hinges, but have only seen them for inset or overlay doors. Does anyone know of a European hinge style that can be used in this application?

Thank,
    John

According to Blum's catalog, you can make their 170 degree hinge work for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbetted lip. (Blum calls it a lipped door.) Look at the lower left corner of http://www.wwhardware.com/media/prod...170special.pdf

wwhardware is a good place to get blum hinges. On their site, go up a level or two from that URL and look around. There's lot of application information about how to choose and install euro hinges.

Thanks Jamie, I will check that out.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    According to Blum's catalog, you can make their 170 degree hinge work for a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbetted lip. (Blum calls it a lipped door.) Look at the lower left corner of http://www.wwhardware.com/media/prod...170special.pdf

wwhardware is a good place to get blum hinges. On their site, go up a level or two from that URL and look around. There's lot of application information about how to choose and install euro hinges.
    Thank you for that Jamie I had been in cabinetmaking for 15 years and I would have said that the concealed hinges could not be used As the saying goes you are not too old to learn (Now retired)
    Tom

My search was for euro hinges that allowed a decorative edge on the door. I have used some Blum hinges, but were clearly not designed for that - I had to drill within 1/16 inch of the edge.

At the IWF show I asked Blum for a solution, and was told "I feel for you, but we aren't going to do anything about it."

The Salice hinge people said "I know exactly what you are looking for. We just invented a new hinge for those type applications, and it will be in our next catalog." I haven't seen the promised catalog or sample hinge yet, but I am still hopeful, and after that much nicer reaction will be watching for good things from Salice.