Thread: Gate Progress (1 of 3)

Blog Entries

Gate Progress (1 of 3)

I meant to do this earlier but....

I'm old school (architect) and draw by Hand. Gate is Afromosa and is really meant for me to hone my joinery skills preparatory to my winter furniture projects. Height is 6' and 3'-6" wide. Complete over 2-1/2 weekends. This is progress to Dry fit and alignment of lattice work. Please no nasty comments about the shop (really is is a garage and I do park the car inside nightly).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Gate Progress (2 of 3)

Here is more of the Dry fit and Glue-up. Fitting lattice mortise and tenons was a bit of a pain. Then Glue up in two stages Rail and Stile then lattice and Arc. Last photo is Glue up complete and Clamps removed.

Blog Entries

Gate Progress (3 of 3)

Progress here shows pinning of joints and details prior to finish sanding. Pins are 1/4 Walnut. I hope to start finish over the weekend. Finsh Plan is 3 Coats of Smith and Co, Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. followed by 5 to 7 coats of epiphanes Marine Varnish. I live at the beach and gate will be exposed to high Salt, humidity and UV exposure.

Great job! Is the arched cross brace walnut? Looks to be a bit darker. Unique style and excellent joinery.

Blog Entries

Gate Arc Brace

Thanks!

No, Not walnut. Still Afromosa and stained to look like Walnut. I want the durability of the Afromosa. I have a great deal of walnut inside but it doesn't hold up well outside.

When I tested the Finish and Pins, I tried both Afromosa and wallnut. When finished the Wall nut pins really pop in an elegant way, so I decided to make the Arc darker. I'll likley post a preliminary finish picture tomorrow.

I really like the design Shawn. I get kind of wild when I do a fence and gate also.. but that gate is somewhat unique with what appears to be chamfered end slats. Nice work...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries

Gate Design

Thanks! I don't work as an Architect any more. The central design challenge for this was to create a clean style that would integrate well into a very Modern House at the Beach. My previous house (in Seattle) was a 1920's Arts and crafts bungalow, work that I did for it was more traditional.

The chamfered tops was a response to ensure minimal water stood on the end grain...

Shawn, that is a great looking gate. I like the design. What are you going to use for hinges and latch?

Sam

Looks like you are going to have one fine looking gate Shawn.

Great design.
    Make sure to give us a pic when it's installed.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up handsome gate...

Hi Shawn,
    Impressive design and gate build.
    What can you teach us about Afromosia?

I'm eager to see the winter furniture that you are 'gearing up' for...
    play safe,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Blog Entries

Gate Hardware

I will be using a Latch System called Lokk Latch Deluxe and their hinges. I an still figuring out the Pulls (Looking for Marine Grade Stainless). I just put down the first coat on the finish and am waiting for cure. The finish brings out the grain more predominantly. The next picture will be from a camera rather than the iPhone. I'll of course have to down-rez them.

Beautiful work Shawn. I used the Smith CPES on a porch restoration about 4 years ago, really impressive product. Holds finish like a charm. I seem to recall putting down three coats almost sequentially, as in as soon as it would take more. Maybe two back to back, one a few hours later? Those directions leave plenty to the imagination. Allow to off gas mostly but not cure completely before top coating? You have to "sniff" to ensure it is only moderately stinky? What do you make of their finishing schedule recommendations?

Blog Entries
    My plan is this; three coats of the epoxy. Likely 1-2 days between (I find Epoxy Needs to be fully cured before covering - lots of experience with Boats). I sand the first coat (more reason for having it good and hard), and let the next two remain as is. The directions leave a bit to be desired (4 separate sets of instructions) but the central part about coating until you get glossy sheen all over seems to be the best part.

I will the start on the Epifanes Varnish with the goal of a coat a day (Unclear as to whether I will get both sides done in a day). I do it in the garage (tends to fluctuate between 75 and a low of 65 at this time of year) and we have ~80 % RH. The Epifanes needs to be recoated no later the 72 hours after last coat to avoid sanding between to get proper adhesion. This requires I work diligently to finish before I head to Europe (business) at the end of teh month.

I am designing my own gate. Talk about timely inspiration ! I only hope mine is 1/3 as good s yours nicely done.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Blog Entries

Gate

I am sure yours will be great. Take your time and play safe.