Thread: CV 1800 dust collector

CV 1800 dust collector

I just ordered a Clear View 1800 dust collector. My shop is a 20x50 room inside a 46 x 96 pole building so for noise reduction I plan to put it outside my shop in the pole building. Not to waste the heated air I was planning to plumb the return air back inside and then go thru the filters, but Ed Morgano at Clear View said that because most of the noise will come thru the filters for the best noise reduction I should just build a closet for the entire unit outside the shop and return the air thru a ventilation port sized to not restrict the air flow. This seems kind of wasteful to build an entire closet just to capture the return air. So my question is "has anyone built an enclosure around just the filters to capture the filtered air and return it into the shop?"
    The Plane Anarchist

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga

CV 1800 dust collector

Yep .. .. .. I built a rather large plywood box that houses two compartments. The upper one is approx. 10"hX18"wX40"d .. .. it is this compartment/plenum that initially receives the air from the cyclone/blower. The lower plenum houses six large TORIT filters with a sealed baffle between the two plenums. The whole works, including the CV1800 is actually mounted in the attic. The only things visible in the shop are the piping, the grate in the ceiling that returns the filtered air, and the dust bin. It has probably reduced the noise by 80%. I first installed the unit in a corner of the shop, and upon firing it up, I knew I had to do SOMETHING differently. I am very happy that I re-engineered the setup. My photos, while not up-to-date are on the ClearVue website in an album labeled "UNUSUAL INSTALL". If you'd like to see more pics, I can take some more recent shots and do an update.

I was faced with a similar situation and questions this fall. My pole barn has one end partitioned off and insulated as a woodworking shop.

In September I installed a cv1800. I put the cyclone in the uninsulated part of the pole barn but wanted to return the air from the filters to the shop. I added a small 30 inch by 4 ft insulated closet outside my shop but just on the otherside of the insulated partition. My air compressor and the filters are the only thing that is in the closet. Used the original insulated interior wall (minus insulation) as a baffle to return air to the shop. Lined the entire inside of the closet with fibergalss insulation to try and absorb some of the noise from the filters. I also used about 6' of 8 inch hvac flexible duct to go from the cyclone to the filters. (I'm not sure how well that works as a muffler since it seems to make what I can only describe as something being buffeted by the wind.) The noise coming out of the closet returns is from only the filters so I assumed it would be quieter than from the cyclone and the filters if they were both in the closet.

Don't know if my reasoning was correct but get a reading of 62 decibels in my shop and 92 in the side where the cyclone is.

Just as an aside: My door to the closet is in the barn part as I wanted the wall space in my shop. That may be a good thing in the summer as I can open the door to the closet and have the air exit into the other part of the building. It seems like the temp goes up in my shop when the cv is running and I know the closet gets pretty warm.

Good luck with your installation!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 11-03-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add pic

4. Reminds me of this.. Though not meant to quiet things down so much as to make proper use of pleated filters.

http://www.studio1304.com/silca/cyclone/filter.htm

I'd think that it would make things quieter however, and if needed, secondary baffles could be added to the out flow to quiet things more.

Thanks for the info. The more I think about it the more I think I'll just build a closet to enclose the entire unit. I'm worried that if I keep the cyclone in the unheated pole barn the plastic might crack at -20 someday. And I like the idea of putting the air compressor in the same closet with it. So I plan to build a closet in the pole barn adjacent to the shop, steal some heat out of the shop, house both the cyclone and filter, and add a return duct back into the shop. The Clearview should be delivered tomorrow so the closet building should start this weekend. If anyone has any other tips let me know before Saturday if possible.
    The Plane Anarchist

Give some thought on how you're going to get that cyclone back out of the closet if (God forbid) you have to service or replace the motor. I went rather overboard but built my closet in sections that bolt together. There's a lot of ways you could do it that wouldn't require demolition if you have to get something back out.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Give some thought on how you're going to get that cyclone back out of the closet .
    good point.
    The Plane Anarchist

You can put the cyclone in a closet, but you must ensure you have sufficient cooling for the motor. The best option, if you can do it, is to mount the cyclone outside under a lean-to or in a shed, and either put the filters outside or inside in their own enclosure to pipe the air back inside if you are concerned about loosing cooled or heated air. I have done this with my last two shops.

The blower w/cyclone in my current shop is in a room off my garage. Filtered air is returned to my second story shop via the filters which are mounted in an enclosure at shop level.

The filter in my old shop:

New shop filter enclosure. After the wall was finished the opening was covered with a standard wall register:

Unless you have high humidity or run your DC continuously, loss of shop are doesn't affect shop temp as much as you might think. Just like a fridge which cools the new air very quickly after you have opened the door and let the cool air out, the thermal mass of your shop (walls, floors, machines, etc.) quickly heats or cools take-up air drawn into a shop where the DC vents outside. There is one other concern, however about venting outside- if you have a gas fired furnace or hot water heater in your shop, a DC can cause reverse flu flow and cause deadly carbon monoxide to enter your shop.

There is one other concern, however about venting outside- if you have a gas fired furnace or hot water heater in your shop, a DC can cause reverse flu flow and cause deadly carbon monoxide to enter your shop.
    Could that also cause issues with a wood burning stove in the shop?

Rick, I would think it could easily cause problems with the smoke's flow out the chimney. Make up air is going to come from the source with the least resistance. If all doors and windows are shut, the flu would be the least resistance. It would get smokey in a hurry. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    Could that also cause issues with a wood burning stove in the shop?
    You betcha! Big time! Just as Jim said. The only exception is if it is a sealed stove with combustion air sourced from outside.

Good point Alan. Sealed combustion would solve the problem. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I was afraid of that.
    Guess I will be using the filters inside...when I get to install mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    I was afraid of that.
    Guess I will be using the filters inside...when I get to install mine.

Rick, I used 8" HVAC flex to help quiet my CV1800. Mine is inside the shop but on the other side of a partition. I'm not sure exactly how much it quieted it down but it definitely helped.

I love the CV1800. It has probably been my best tool purchase to date...and to tell you the truth, the noise has not been as big a concern as I was originally led to believe.

Nick