Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta DJ20 Jointer

Delta DJ20 Jointer

There is an upcoming estate auction where one of the items for sale is a Delta DJ20 8" jointer. I did some research, and found the price of a new one to be about $1700, but that does not include shipping. It has a 1 1/2 horsepower motor wired for single phase 220. Since I have been very pleased with my Grizzly 15" planer, I looked at the Grizzly 8" jointers, and the 3 horsepower model with the long bed can be bought new and shipped to me for $850.

Why is the Delta so much more expensive? It may be better built, but I really wonder if it is worth twice as much with half the horsepower and only 3 knives versus 4 knives on the Grizzly. Maybe I am missing something? I looked at all this to try and determine what would be a fair deal on the used DJ20. Assuming the used DJ20 is in good condition, what might be a reasonable range of value?

If it was more than $500 - $600, I think I might be better to just buy a new Grizzly. Anyway, I wanted to call on the experience of this group for perspective. Thanks in advance!

Hi, the Delta was a well respected 8" import jointer.

I noticed Norm Abram had one at one point.

I wouldn't worry about the 1 1/2 HP, that's more than you'll ever use on an 8" jointer.

Same issue with a 3 knife cutterhead, at the speeds a person pushes wood across the head, 3 knives will be fine.

My only issue with either machine is that they don't have quick change knives, now that I have a jointer that is quick change, I'm spoiled.

Regards, Rod.

My opinion is if you can get the Delta for less than the cost of the Grizzly (very likely) it's a good deal. Assuming of course it's in decent condition. If you can pick it up in that price range you should likely be able to regain your investment in the future should you need to sell it. Not so much with the Grizzly. I'm not a big fan of Grizzly, but there are many here on the Creek that are satisfied with their equipment.....your choice.
    BTW I have a DJ 20 with 3 knives and a 1-1/2 hp motor, and a 16" with 4 knives and a 4.6 hp motor, and you can't tell the difference between the cuts.. Don't rely on manufacturers numbers (ie HP) as accurate.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    DJ20s were very accurate out of the box & made with a high degree of quality. If I were buying today, I would look at tersa or shelix cutter heads. Note that older shelix cutters did not give you clean rabbets on a jointer so ask (I think they fixed that issue or they can modify the cutter head?). You can also buy retrofit heads for the DJ20.
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 11-03-2009 at 1:55 PM.

I have a 3hp DJ30 12" and the cut with the three blades is good enough I am not looking at Byrds unless one falls from the sky on a crazy deal.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I was fortunate to buy an early Invicta DJ20 at auction for $675. Now they are Chinese, same as Grizzly and others. Prices of new Delta stuff are way out of line with the other Chinese imports which are basically identical. The Delta *name* is worth something. (or was in the past) But that only goes so far!

If you bid on the DJ20 at auction, don't get carried away. $750 (or less) would be a good buy, IMO! Anything higher, you are paying for gray paint! You might as well have a Grizzly. Although I totally dislike Grizzly's *green* I won't pay through the nose for Delta *gray*. There will be other auctions on other days! There is always CraigsList!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Now they are Chinese, same as Grizzly and others.
    +1.

Check the tag on the back. If it was made in the US or Brazil, it's probably worth a little more. The newer ones are Chinese.

The 1.5HP isn't an issue, as Rod said.

If it's in good shape, it should be worth max $650, IMO. I've seen them sell for less than that on CL.

I'd bring a good straightedge and make sure the beds and fence are flat. The advantage of buying a new Grizz is that you get some warranty against that sort of problem.

I have an older DJ-20 that I bought from a fellow Creeker that is an outstanding machine. Does exactly what I want it to each and every time I ask it to do it. I gave $650 for mine and have seen them in that range. I have never felt like it lacked power at 1 1/2 hp.

Now, I will say that changing knives is a complete PITA but no more so than any other jointer with fixed knives I suppose. But .... its still is a PITA.

Yes, I have the small Delta 3/4 horsepower 6" jointer, and it has been a real workhorse. I have gotten used to changing the knives, so I am already acclimated!

Thanks for all the perspectives. I am hoping that the jointer is one of the pre-Taiwan models. We will definitely see how this all works out as I am planning to bid on it unless it is a wreck. Y'all have confirmed one thing that the new import Delta is probably not worth $1000 more than the new Grizzly.

An 8" jointer will seem like a luxury!

Very little difference in the Chinese, Brazilian and American DJ20s, most significant is the quality of the metal castings. The Chinese do not wait for the CI to season and it stress relieves a lot more after the final grind.
    Besides your straitedge, though, bring along a flash light and mirror, to look under the bed. Pull up a drawing of the jointer from service net and find the item labeled "bumper" the part number is 1330133. They are often broken, and while not expensive, or hard to replace, broken ones do indicate abuse...time to look harder.

I have a DJ20 I bought a couple of years ago. A refurb. Came perfect right out of the crate. The jointer itself is made in Tiawan, not China. The jointer base was made in China. Delta is one of the originals every body has copied. I looked at the Grizzly copy in Springfield, Mo. Had I not had a DJ20 already I probably would have bought it right there. Grizzly has good after purchase customer service. If you look around though yoiu will probably find a used DJ20 at a good price if you really want one. I like mine. I just wish I had a 12". Good luck in your hunt.

I bought a lightly used DJ-20 a few years back, it was an older one with a big American flag on the front, from the era when Delta was still fighting the onslaught of cheap Taiwanese imports of which Grizzly was one. Ever read the adds in old FWW from the very early 1980's? Interesting the way things have turned out. My DJ-20 has been a solid performer for which I probably over paid at $900. I don't know how many HP it is, but I would call it "More than enough". It will give you the maximum depth of cut at full width no problem, so what more is required? Three HP on the Grizz sounds like a motor for a 12" jointer or an over rated cheap chinese import motor trying to sound impressive. Check the Amp rating and motor class for a more realistic comparison.

Things have obviously moved forward, but the DJ-20 is still a fine machine, and jointers are simple tools with little to go wrong. How Delta commands so much for the new ones is beyond my ability to comprehend? Maybe they are built to higher specs that Grizzly? I don't know and I doubt you will ever get the truth from either manufacturer, so short of hiring an engineering testing facility to do a complete tear down on both machines for inspection one can only speculate. And an $800 price difference leads to a LOT of speculation in both directions.

I use a four knife head 20" jointer at work, and to me that fourth knife just makes it harder to push the wood and more expensive to change the knives. Its a slightly nicer surface quality but still not a finish cut, so its pretty much moot. What isn't moot is that its also a terminus quick change head, so knife changes take 5 minutes and come out perfect every time. And we can throw in carbide for species that require it very quickly. Wish I had that feature on my home machine.

At auction I'd look to pay no more than 60% replacement value and as little as 40% depending on age and condition, and possibly accessories, for any used machine. Often used machines have several sets of knives bundled, which can be worth something. Take a close look to see that things move as they should and it runs. If they can't power it up I'd give them $50 or take a pass.

Auction DJ20 purchace last summer

Last summer I picked up a 1989 Brazilian Invecta DJ-20 for $350 at an auction (GLOAT) , after a little clean up and readjustment, runs like new. I sold my old North State 8" jointer for $450. After using the DJ-20 for a few months, all I have to say is: I won I won, longer bed is great, operation is smoother, great machine. And it came with an extra set of new blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    Why is the Delta so much more expensive?
    Dealer markup and Delta Grey paint. There are many happy owners of the G0490. I have the W1741(Shop Fox version) Tables and fence are flat. The wood comes out square. What more do you want?

We've got a DJ20, refurbished Taiwanese(I stand corrected Ron) model. If you're collecting, hold out for a Invicta, or an American model...if you want a tough machine get any of the three at the best price you can.

"I bought a lightly used DJ-20 a few years back, it was an older one with a big American flag on the front, from the era when Delta was still fighting the onslaught of cheap Taiwanese imports of which Grizzly was one."

Peter, I'm not trying to whack the hornets nest here, but Pentair Corp., which owned Delta, practically led the charge to Asia.

The DJ20, regardless of where it was built, is a machine that set the bar for many years. Ours is capable of many tough jobs, including face jointing, deep rabbets, and edging teak doors.
    That, and it stands up to operators that are, not very compassionate towards machinery.
    Often copied, never duplicated is a phrase that comes to mind.
    To the OP: hold for the best price you can get.
    But check it closely...some flaws cannot be corrected.