Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Yes or No?

Question Windows 7 Yes or No?

Just saw news coverage on Windows 7 this AM and did a quick search on this forum. Is anyone using it and having success or issues? I have a Universal Laser and CorelDraw x3. Very scary to upgrade, but they have a home upgrade package for 3 computers for $149 which is pretty cool and it will allow my kids to do other cool stuff between their PCs.

Thanks!
    Tracey
    ULS V-Class 50 Watt, Corel x3, AutoCAD LT '02, NEWBIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Bakewell View Post
    Just saw news coverage on Windows 7 this AM and did a quick search on this forum. Is anyone using it and having success or issues? I have a Universal Laser and CorelDraw x3. Very scary to upgrade, but they have a home upgrade package for 3 computers for $149 which is pretty cool and it will allow my kids to do other cool stuff between their PCs.

Thanks!
    Tracey

Tracey,

In my opinion, it is definitely worth the upgrade. I helped with the beta versions and now have the retail on all my computers, including the one hooked to my Universal 2.30. In talking to tech (at Universal), as long as you are running any version 5.24.38 or newer of the ULS software, you are fine. If you have an earlier version, contact them and they will send you the latest.

Windows 7 takes a long time to install from scratch, so be prepared to spend some time with it. The installation is pretty fool proof. I think you will find that programs run significantly faster, especially when compared to Vista. If you're used to XP, a bit faster, but far more user friendly... and none of the XP bugs.

I am running X4 with no problem and there should not be any with X3. And specifically, I'm also running 5.27.48 Control Panel which I believe is the latest.
    Universal VLS2.30 - 30 watt (measures 42 watts - Yikes! So that's why all my photos are turning out white!)

I absolutely LOVE windows 7!! I have it on 4 of my computers already!

They really did things right with this OS. All testing was done in beta where it belonged, it wasn't rushed like Vista was. Amazing OS for sure. Much snappier, robust, and it looks so clean and nice and pretty......did I say how much I loved Win 7?
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

I know the conventional wisdom is "fresh install, not upgrade"...fine for this laptop, but that could get extremely ugly on my upstairs machine.
    Anybody have any experience with an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to the equivalent version of 7?
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 11-03-2009 at 1:23 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I know the conventional wisdom is "fresh install, not upgrade"...fine for the laptop, but that could get extremely ugly on my upstairs machine.
    Anybody have any experience with an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to the equivalent version of 7?
    Unfortunately I was running Windows Vista Ultimate on my upstairs machine, so I had to do a custom install.

Download this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And it will tell you what you need for the upgrade.

As usual back up even if it is an upgrade!

When I did my installation I downloaded the entire OS (via MSDNAA, gotta love going to college) and it ran from my desktop! It was quite amazing if you ask me!
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

If your running Vista SP2 on the machines with no troubles I would not upgrade. Unless you just want to.

If your running XP use the compatibility checker to make sure you have the horsepower and drivers. Then upgrade to 7.

No matter what you do PLEASE backup your data.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I know the conventional wisdom is "fresh install, not upgrade"...fine for this laptop, but that could get extremely ugly on my upstairs machine.
    I also would be wanting to do an in-place upgrade as I have a lot of things that were a bear to setup as it is. 1 Vista, and 2 XP PCs. Also! What about PhotoGrave the older version? So far though, I think I'm gonna go for it!
    ULS V-Class 50 Watt, Corel x3, AutoCAD LT '02, NEWBIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Bakewell View Post
    I also would be wanting to do an in-place upgrade as I have a lot of things that were a bear to setup as it is. 1 Vista, and 2 XP PCs. Also! What about PhotoGrave the older version? So far though, I think I'm gonna go for it!
    The link I posted above checks drivers, programs, hardware, and OS version for compatibility. Give it a whirl
    -Garrett Nors

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Nors View Post
    They really did things right with this OS. All testing was done in beta where it belonged, it wasn't rushed like Vista was.
    Could it be because Vista was the beta for 7? Nothing like having a 2-year beta to shake out all of the bugs...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I did the upgrade from vista home sp2. it took some time but worked flawlessly.
    I did do the compatibility check and resolved all issues before doing the up grade. I did backup everything to a external HD before starting.
    It has been very stable I have no complaints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

No need to 'fresh install' unless you are extremely anal (can I say that in this forum?) With the 'upgrade' install, it will take longer largely due to the re-indexing, changing registry entries and existing file moving that it needs to do.

The deciding factor on fresh vs. upgrade us usually centers around whether you've loaded your computer up with a bunch of programs that you don't need or no longer use. In that case, there will typically be a lot of 'registry trash' left over that didn't get deleted, when you may have deleted the program. This tends to slow everything down.
    Last edited by Brian Jacobs; 11-04-2009 at 9:25 AM.
    Universal VLS2.30 - 30 watt (measures 42 watts - Yikes! So that's why all my photos are turning out white!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    No matter what you do PLEASE backup your data.
    Backing up the data is trivial, it's reinstalling all the programs that would kill me.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Backing up the data is trivial, it's reinstalling all the programs that would kill me.
    Excellent point, plus all the upgrades.

Blog Entries
    Prepare for a fresh install if you are moving from 32-bit to 64-bit... no upgrade option with that one.

Lee, starting with my next build, I will be using Acronis True Image. I'll install the base OS, download all patches, and tune it to my liking. This will be followed by installation and tuning of my favorite programs. Once the core system is set, ATI will back it up onto an external HD (which are starting to push $50/TB!!!). Should anything go wrong, I can have a workable system back up and running within an hour or so. Well worth the $74.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Lee, starting with my next build, I will be using Acronis True Image.
    Huh. I used that with XP, but never managed to get it working under Vista, and it shows as 'incompatible' in the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

I've been using DriveImage XML (the free version), works very nicely with my 1TB WD external.