Thread: Glue Melamine to Oak Ply?

Glue Melamine to Oak Ply?

I'm making a folding top for a liquor cabinet that has melamine on one side and oak on the other for a total of 3/4"

I'm thinking about gluing a 1/2" sheet of MDF with melamine on both sides to a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood. Obviously, wood glue probably won't work, so I think I'm going to use contact cement to bond them. I'll wrap to finished panel with a solid oak trim.

Has anybody tried something similar to this? My only concern is the integrity of the glue bond.

Thanks.

Chuck

I use Roo glue for melamine projects. Works great.

Quinn

I bought some melamine Roo Glue a few weeks back but haven't used it yet. I need to bond 1/4" straight grain pine boards that have been laminated with plastic laminate on the top but left raw wood on the underside. The boards are about 5" wide by 30" long.

They have not warped. I am stacking them into a stepped pyramid. I saw some PL polyurethane glue in a caulking tube at Menards and bought a tube. It says it will bond these materials. I am wondering if I should use Roo Glue for the laminate to wood bond or this PL stuff. The Roo Glue seems to be water based and the PL thinner based. I wonder which would be less prone to cause the wood to move or distort?

I will also mechanically attach each "step" to the previous one and so the steps will be tightly pressed together onto a flat bench for gluing. It seems overkill to have to laminate the underside of these boards for balance, as the undersides will be more or less laminated once they are glued to the laminated board under them.

So that is where I stand before glue-up: Roo Glue or polyurethane.