Thread: Suggestions for routing Melamine?

Suggestions for routing Melamine?

I'll be routing a miter slot in a Melamine router table top I'm in the process of building, in a couple of days.

Any hints? Things I should look out for? I'm planning on using Rockler's miter track.

Rout away, other than the obvious carbide bits should be no problem

I use a downcut or compression bit to minimize chipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I use a downcut or compression bit to minimize chipping.
    This is good advice.

Another approach would be to somehow score or otherwise cut the edges where the dado would go, using a good blade (hi-ATB blade, or some other blade intended to cut melamine); then router the slot as you otherwise wood, making it meet the scoring marks.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be making sawdust this weekend, and I've a much better idea on how to proceed.

I just finished doing that myself. I used a good carbide 3/4 inch bit, and had no issue with chip out. The 3/4 inch bit was a perfect fit for the Rockler track. Now I just need to shorten my fence a couple of inches on each end....

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Rout away, other than the obvious carbide bits should be no problem
    Oh, whew...

When I first read this, I mistook "carbide bits" to mean "bits of carbide".

You know like..."Rout away, other than the obvious potential of fragments of super hardened steel being propelled at VERY high rates of speed at your person should be no problem."

Don't do it?

Melamine isn't going to make a particularly durable or sag-proof top. I'd get a piece of laminate for the surface and use well-braced MDF or plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Don't do it?

Melamine isn't going to make a particularly durable or sag-proof top. I'd get a piece of laminate for the surface and use well-braced MDF or plywood.
    +1 from me
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Don't do it?

I guess that depends on what you use. The piece that I used was 1-1/4" thick, and has extra support under it. It is flat, and should stay that way.

Because I was not sure I would like the way mine worked, I used the melamine for a trial. If I like it, i will replace it with laminate later, and make adjustments to my track/plate layout.

Mike

I've laminated 3/4" Melamine to 3/4" MDF. If it turns out to sag, it was cheap and I'll build another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dege View Post
    I've laminated 3/4" Melamine to 3/4" MDF. If it turns out to sag, it was cheap and I'll build another.
    Sag??? Yeah, that just might...if you park your car on it!

I'm thinking you should be pretty safe otherwise.