Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster County PA Creekers? A question. (Xmas gift for SWMBO)

Lancaster County PA Creekers? A question. (Xmas gift for SWMBO)

Got a question for those of you in Amish Country.

LOML bought an Amish quit on eBay about three years ago. When the quilt arrived, she nearly cried -- it sucked. It was mass produced in some country where cheap quilts are made.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the real deal costs? I think a big hand stitched quilt is probably out of my league this year, but who knows?

She's already getting a Shaker bedroom set. An Amish quilt to throw on top of it would be icing. But I have no idea what this stuff costs, and the web seems to specialize in 100-year old quilts that cost as much as my house. (And $100 quilts that look like they were stitched with a weed-whacker.)
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Walk fast and look worried.

IIRC, the one we got from the basement of someones house, down a long driveway on a side road with a small white sign cost around $400. And it was a cheap one that is one-sided.

Blog Entries
    "Amish Quilt" to me means sewn by an Amish or Menonite craftsperson. Note that they can be machine made. There are also plenty of traditional quilt patterns sewn by non-Amish.

A small crib or wall-hanging quilt runs $200-$400. A full bed size quilt runs $1k-$3k. The type of quilt, amount of detail, and skill of the craftsperson determine the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    "Amish Quilt" to me means sewn by an Amish or Menonite craftsperson. Note that they can be machine made. There are also plenty of traditional quilt patterns sewn by non-Amish.

A small crib or wall-hanging quilt runs $200-$400. A full bed size quilt runs $1k-$3k. The type of quilt, amount of detail, and skill of the craftsperson determine the price.

I'm assuming that "going to Lancaster County and buying direct from the craftsperson" is going to be the least expensive option.

I'm ALSO assuming that the Amish are not marketing their handmade crafts on the internet. So I assume that when I see a quilt on the web, there is a middleman somewhere making a big payday on every quilt sold.

First-hand "I bought a quilt from Mrs. Yoder in XXXXX, and it cost $X" helps a bit. First-hand "A lot of Amish people are friends of mine and here's what they suggest" would help a lot more. (I might be asking for cloud castles. I realize that.)

If my assumptions are wrong, I would very much like to know about it.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Check your local churches. We have a lady's club that sews every week and makes them. They all but give them away. But it keeps the gals out of the tavern. Not my line, theirs. They do make some every nice quilts, baby blankets, all that old school stuff, that is better than you can buy.

i live right in the heart of it out here. i can pick up some handmade amish quilts right down the road for about $50. some less some more.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

what size and price range are you looking for?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

About 15 years ago LOML and I went to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a long weekend vacation. They have lots of handcrafted items there and most are really well done. The full size quilts were $400-500 then, I suspect Greg's $1,000 to $3,000 is about right now.

I was in a quilt shop in Bird in Hand PA, which is right in Lancaster County PA. There were 2 LOL (little old ladies) in there sewing.

I got to sit down in a Maple Morris chair with QUILTED Maple arms (just to get this post on topic ) and chat with them.

They were very forthcoming - they said how many hours they put on average into a quilt and how much they get for the quilts.

The quilts were in the > $1,000 range - which is out of my range.

The Morris Chair was in the > $3,500 range which is why I'd build my own first.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    what size and price range are you looking for?

Cal King. I don't really have a price range. I'd rather buy less expensive than more expensive. But I'm not interested in "cheap." I'm looking at this purchase with the same mindset I have when I look at big power tools.

I am all for a solution that involves two tickets to Pennsylvania. (Although that instantly makes this purchase a "next year" expenditure.) I really like the state. And I get the bonus of a side trip to Pottsville. Tiffany glass stained windows at the local church AND the Yuengling Brewery. My kind of town.

imho ,
    2 tickets to lancaster is what is needed .
    i live here and have shopped for a quilt before (it has been a long time ago , so i don't feel qualified to talk prices )
    that way you can see what you are getting , and won't be disappointed
    derf

Quote Originally Posted by fred marcuson View Post
    imho ,
    2 tickets to lancaster is what is needed .
    i live here and have shopped for a quilt before (it has been a long time ago , so i don't feel qualified to talk prices )
    that way you can see what you are getting , and won't be disappointed
    derf

But where to go and look for quilts? Any shop selling quilts is going to be mark-up city. And it's not like I can just knock on random doors that don't have power lines running to them and ask, "Hey, I noticed the lack of electricity*. Do you make quilts for sale?"

* Note - It is not my intention to mock the Amish with that statement. It just seems to me that the only way to know where to get the good stuff without paying through the nose is to know the right people.

It's not like there are signs in front of the houses that read, "The Yoders -- Heirloom Quilts for Sale." Right?

(The only reason I use the surname "Yoder" is that it was in that ridiculous Tim Allen movie awhile back.)

It's not like there are signs in front of the houses that read, "The Yoders -- Heirloom Quilts for Sale." Right?
    you will be pleasantly surprised
    a drive down the main drag will give an idea how how well the amish cottage industries are doing .
    i used to deliver out there , 'the amish route' . i haven't been on that side of town (i avoid it like the plague because of the tourists) since the spring ; but i know the home stores are out the with a sign hanging at the start of the driveway . also as long as it isn't raining they will be hanging their for sale quilts in the front yard .
    it is a tourist trap !!
    when my aunt was visiting a few years back we spent days just driving around stopping at every place that had quilts for sale looking for one for her to buy .
    btw , she never bought one ; reason ......there were just too many to choose from !!!

Eric,
    Sent you an email yesterday via Sawmill Creek - let me know if you didn't receive it.

Wes