Thread: Whew! Leveling boards by hand

Whew! Leveling boards by hand

For the amusement of you Neanderthals, who understand this sort of thing, I am making six biscuit boards. These are from some real hard maple so I spent a lot of time getting planes wicked sharp. Talk about making shavings! What is not seen in the photo is the six inches of shavings on the floor. I enjoy hand planning but this is nuts! Anyway, they are dead flat across 24" but I am pooped!

George
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is why God invented electricity.

look at it this way, you've got some beautiful, hand-planed maple panels and you've saved yourself a trip to the gym!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

Have to love hand planes. I've had to do a lot of flattening by hand. With a 6" jointer and 13" planer, there's lot of glue ups and such that need to be done by hand. It's definitely a workout. I think I increased my curls by 5# after flattening the top/bottom of my workbench when I built it.

I was doing the same thing with an elm plank last night. Perhaps it's not pictured and you already do this, but you may want to consider some planes that take a more rank cut so that it goes quick and makes a smaller pile of thicker shavings.

There is something particularly satisfying about it when you get to the dead flat result. It's like you've bonded with the board - slapped the bit in its mouth and held on while it kicked and bucked until you finally had a good pony.

Blog Entries
    I do similar but with softer woods most of the time.

The shavings are great for starting fires if you have a wood stove.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ice your elbows. I've given myself serious tennis elbow that prevents me from lifting even my toothbrush. I blame planes!!!

Think of each shaving as a push-up.

Since I do every thing with hand tools, I do quite a bit of that and have bags full of shavings... It is indeed a great fire starter... Love the smell... (of sweat)... Of shaving! Espacialy Black Walnut and DF!
    Good work on the panels!

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    What is not seen in the photo is the six inches of shavings on the floor. I enjoy hand planning but this is nuts! Anyway, they are dead flat across 24" but I am pooped!
    I agree, hard maple is a lot of work. If you really want a workout, try a large endgrain chopping board.

No idea what planes you've got, so this is just checking...are you using the right sequence of tools? Given the choice, I'd probably start with a fore plane with a heavily cambered iron and a fairly thick shaving, then a jointer with a less cambered iron and a thinner shaving, then a smoother with a shaving of a couple thou.

That looks like a low angle jack in the picture. It'll do the job (I used mine to make a cutting board before I got the others), but it'll take longer than a smaller smoother would.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 11-05-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    I agree, hard maple is a lot of work. If you really want a workout, try a large endgrain chopping board.
    ditto that! we have an old 18" thick one that had lots and lots of stains and knife/chopper scars when we got it. spent many, many weekends scraping and sanding them out until I had a surface that was perfectly flat and smooth as marble. a lot of sweat but worth every drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

A few years ago, I did this on many feet of knotty pine using a hideous Buck Bros jack plane. I only got through it with grim determination and a portable radio.

Places like Woodcraft should give away this kind of lumber and handplane. They would make it all back and then some when you return to buy better stuff.