Thread: threading dowel rod

threading dowel rod

i am having trouble with the threads chipping . using a thread box from woodcraft. any ideas??? need them for nutcrackers i make. thanks

I have a couple of suggestions. I have a similar thread box.

I always lubricate the dowel with Watco Danish Oil. It is kind of messy but really helps to smooth the cutting. I then immediately soak the new screw in the oil to help stabilize the threads.

My second suggestion is to move the cutter back a bit. If you are taking too large a cut the threads will tend to break off.

Another area where you can have a problem is with the wood. I have successfully used birch, cherry, walnut and beech for threads. I haven't been as successful with oak. If you are buying your dowels from a store, try a different source.

Good luck,
    David

I have just purchased a thread box 1 1/4" from the woodcraft. First I have a birch dowel rod I've yet to thread but will tomorrow as a matter of fact, got it from the Woodcraft store too. The guy there told me he's done this before and said to use tung or linseed oil, let it soak for a good 30 mins or so, thread it, then maybe a quick wipe with turpentine to clean off the oil. Same concept with the tapping, bore your hole to 1/8 smaller than your dowel size, use the oil and then tap it, and clean it.

We just used mineral oil. Use of any drying oil would lead to problems later when it dries,gumming up your screwbox. Why would you want to use a drying oil?

Some dowel rods are made of avocado wood,which is harder than birch. The avacado wood also seems less unlikely for the grain to tear than birch.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-08-2009 at 9:33 AM.

I think the dowels from Beall are made for threading, not sure.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Birch grain doesn't hold together well. Maple,or avacodo is better.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Birch grain doesn't hold together well. Maple,or avacodo is better.
    I got some Hickory to turn some handles for old 750s/720s I've been picking up cheap here and there on the 'bay, would that work for threading?

I have not threaded yet, but I have the threading kits from Woodcraft as well. Things I've heard are:

• Split better than turned when it comes to dowels.
    • As mentioned, don't lubricate with a drying oil, it'll gum up eventually.

The split may be practical for small diameters only, with larger ones at some point I assume it is necessary to turn your own, but starting from a split stick helps I assume.

Other than that I am at the mercy of my own ignorance on this.

/p