Thread: New Kreg system opinions?

New Kreg system opinions?

I saw this system at the local Woodcraft over the weekend being demonstrated.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs...PRODUCT_ID=116

I really do like the concept for adding beading to my face frames but I don't know if I could justify the expense of their whole jig. I got to thinking, why can't I just buy the bits and use a sled on my router table to make the joints? I figure I'd make a mark for dead center of the bit on the fence of the sled and center that way. Anybody see why that wouldn't work? Surely they sell the bits separately.

Interesting

Seems like you could make the notch on your tablesaw. Clean out the middle with a dado, then make the sloped sides with the blade at 45. clip the ends of the rails and you got it. Would require a pretty accurate setup though.

You could probably do it all on the router table too with various bits. For $500 MSRP, it would be worth playing around with some ideas before purchasing.

3. Seems like all there is to it is a fence that slides inward.. Keeps the piece locked in place so that the bit does not shift it.

I'd be more apt to buy replacement router bits for it and make a fence.

Really, the concept seems alot like a crosscut sled in a way. They're just using the miter slot to lock the base and have their own sled rails that guide the fence into the bit.

Don't forget about the new router table lift!

http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs...PRODUCT_ID=118

It seems like it would be worth it if you do cabinets for a living. Time is money! Like with the Kreg jig, you can do anything with a $19.99 mini jig that you can do with a K3MS master jig, or a big production $7000 set-up for that matter. It is just a mater of trade off between time, convenience, and money.
    Scott

That Kreg lift is a Woodpecker PRL V2 rebranded.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.