Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign your work?

Sign your work?

Was messing around on Facebook and saw this ad (good targeting facebook!)..

Got me to thinking... Who of you sign your work and what method do you use/prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Was messing around on Facebook and saw this ad (good targeting facebook!)..

Got me to thinking... Who of you sign your work and what method do you use/prefer?
    This is nice timing....I have been thinking about doing this for awhile, I have seen the irons that get hot (kinda like a branding iron) where a company re-creates your signature or business logo and gives you the ability to sign work. I would like to see how others do it too.

I use a branding iron that I bought from Rockler for about $70.

I use a Rockler branding iron and ink the date on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Small pieces..turnings...I sign and date using a extra fine Sharpie. Then I put a coat or more of finish over it.

Larger pieces, like furniture, I sign and date in an out of the way place and then usually get a engraving shop to make a little engraved plate. I mount the plate where it can be seen if it's for a family member.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We use a branding iron and inlay a copper penny to show the year it was made.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

There are a number of laser engraving woodworkers who are Members of SawMill Creek who would most likely offer you a much better price for custom medallions.

I suggest that you post a classified "Want Ad" and ask for a price, as I recall there have been lots of these made here for about one dollar each.

Like John, I brand my name (I use a Lee Valley iron), and I insert a coin for the date.

For the past few years I use a $2 coin......Regards, Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith, I know there are alot on here with that ability.. The price on the link I posted above was rather high IMO, but it only served to get me thinking about it, is all..

Sinking a penny or coin in the work to mark the year is really cool. Wonder, go with a state quarter to mark the area and a penny for the year?

So anyone else have an interesting method of putting your John Hancock on things?

I'd really like to come up with a way to burn a logo into wood that didn't involve me paying what Rockler/Woodcraft sell them for. That is way WAY too much money in my book.

the penny idea (or state quarter) is pretty cool also.

I wish I could make a joke about that canadian $2 coin being worth about the same as a US quarter. But these days it's getting to be the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    I'd really like to come up with a way to burn a logo into wood that didn't involve me paying what Rockler/Woodcraft sell them for. That is way WAY too much money in my book.

the penny idea (or state quarter) is pretty cool also.

I wish I could make a joke about that canadian $2 coin being worth about the same as a US quarter. But these days it's getting to be the other way around.

That's OK Josh, the jokes are still funny, and it's your turn to pay the exchange rate

Regards, Rod.

Josh, get yourself a block of brass and break out the Dremel then.

I remember making stamps in shop out of some kind of rubber and carving tools..

Perhaps if you print onto a decal material (reversed) and apply it to the brass, then start removing OUTSIDE the lines to get it laid out.. Then you just have to deepen the recess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Josh, get yourself a block of brass and break out the Dremel then.

I remember making stamps in shop out of some kind of rubber and carving tools..

Perhaps if you print onto a decal material (reversed) and apply it to the brass, then start removing OUTSIDE the lines to get it laid out.. Then you just have to deepen the recess.

That is not a bad idea at all. I'll have to look into doing it.

Another thought is to hit up these folks with CNC routers and see if they can work on that small of a scale. Chuck up a small diamond bit and away you go. Then you just have to drill the end and mount a rod.... Heat with a map torch and burn away.

Anyone have a CNC and feel like doing a 2" x 2" x 3/4" or so block of brass? For that matter, how much would you want for doing that.. Inquiring mind.

I take a pen and some nice paper. I write a note about who the piece is for, and if it's an event [marriage, birthday, etc.] or whatever I feel like. I write my name, place and year. I draw a border around my note, I glue it on with yellow glue, and depending on location, may or may not cover it with finish. This allows me the flexibility to create more meaningful labels. FWW had an article about this, I think in No. 193.
    Here's an example:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.ph...pictureid=1574
    Last edited by Ken Werner; 11-05-2009 at 3:42 PM.