Thread: Cherry Stain - Follow Up

Cherry Stain - Follow Up

Once again, the great talent at SMC rescues a novice!

Last evening I went back to the finishing examples and tried some of the suggestions given in your responses.

I used the same sanding sequence on both the plywood and solid wood and then put a wood conditioner on half of the plywood piece. I applied the stain to the plywood and immediately wiped off the excess stain. I then applied the stain to the solid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The pieces matched!!

The conditioner did effect the coloration, but barely noticeable. I think I can safely skip that step in this application but it is certainly good information for future reference.

Todd, thank you for the explanation on the plywood processing. I did not realize the plywood still had scratches from the lower grits. It makes perfect sense, now.

Thanks again,

TJ

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Jones
    and then put a wood conditioner on half of the plywood piece. I applied the stain to the plywood and immediately wiped off the excess stain. I then applied the stain to the solid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The pieces matched!!
    TJ

Told ya so - Every now and then I get one right

Yesterday 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I am only assuming that using the same stain on the cherry plywood is resulting in a darker color on the ply than on the solid cherry. If that is the case try applying some Minwax Wood Conditioner on a scrap piece of the ply and see if you get a closer match.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-28-2004 at 1:32 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.