Thread: Do Oil Stones need to be prep before using for 1st time?

Do Oil Stones need to be prep before using for 1st time?

I bought one of those stone sets were you rotate a 3 stone rig to go from grit to grit. And when I put oil on the coarse stone it just disappears into the stone. I stays on the surface for a little bit.. then the stone soaks it up. Is this normal??

If I get one of those 3 inch wide stones will it do the same thing?? do I have to soak it in oil???

thanks

Depends on whether the mfg. pre-soaked it or not. Sounds like yours were not. Just get a small bottle of mineral oil from the grocery store or pharmacy. It's much cheaper than an equal volume of pre-thinned honing oil but basically the same thing, only thicker. Thin it a bit with some turpentine (the oil straight from the bottle is too thick), put the stone in a freezer bag and cover with oil. Let it sit overnight and you should be good.

Are you sure you don't mean thin with mineral spirits? Turpentine can get very much like Karo syrup when it starts to dry,becoming turpene resins. I used to make varnish out of turpene resins from bubbling air through turpentine. Left alone,it will eventually become like rock candy. Not sure about it mixed with a non drying oil.

I dilute drug store mineral oil with about 35% of kerosene, works for me.
    Last edited by Richard Niemiec; 11-06-2009 at 4:20 PM.

Thumbs up on thinning with kerosene.

I have some presoaked Norton oilstones and one of those Smith's tri-hones, where the manmade stone is not presoaked, and yes, there is a huge difference!

Is there a way to tell if the stones are pre-soaked in oil, just by looking or feeling?

The smith tri-stone that i have, I used up all the oil that it came with. It just soaked right into the coarse stone. one drop of oil was enough for the other 2 grits to stay on top.

How much oil/kerosene mix am I going to need to fill up the coarse stone? Can I keep using this mix to sharpen with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Pacleb View Post
    Is there a way to tell if the stones are pre-soaked in oil, just by looking or feeling?

The smith tri-stone that i have, I used up all the oil that it came with. It just soaked right into the coarse stone. one drop of oil was enough for the other 2 grits to stay on top.

How much oil/kerosene mix am I going to need to fill up the coarse stone? Can I keep using this mix to sharpen with?
    Presoaked stones feel oily and don't guzzle down oil like that dry Smith's stone. I dunno how much oil it'll soak up.

The other two stones on your tri-hone are natural Arkansas stones and aren't so porous. So they won't soak up the oil like that.

Yep, you can sharpen with the kerosene/mineral oil mix.

The 8" combo Norton Crystolon stone shown here is presoaked. So is the equivalent Norton India stone. You can get either one for $20 or less.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are not flat

You need to flatten them. Then add mineral oil.

Oil

I use baby oil from the 5&10.Cheap and smells good too.

Actually,I meant thin with KEROSENE!!! Some old timers just leave their carborundum & India stones soaking in kerosene.