Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: just curious. how many of us have oursig-others in the shop

1. Wink No hammers

Rosemary, all those things are okay. No hammers...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I think Kent C. and John M.'s wives all are related or know my wife 'cause that be her!

I show her cool, neat looking stuff to my eyes and she goes, nope, doesn't go with the house decor. I love walnut but she thinks its too dark. I bought an 8/4 chunk of walnut for a mantle and now it isn't going to be a mantle. Now it is just a chunk of wood without a project!

My wife barely ventures out into the shop but she shocked me once. She wanted to redo the (cheap) vanity in our hall bathroom. So I took the doors off and drawer and she grabbed the Festool 150/5 and sanded them all down and repainted them and the vanity. She ended up painting the whole bathroom and we bought crown molding to put. I was impressed...it was a good little project for her so I know she has it in her.

Now she has expressed interest in taking some evening/weekend classes in Interior Decorating at San Jose State University. Not cheap but if that what she wants, she gets it!

My wife is remarkably well-balanced in both sides of the brain: she has a PhD in EE/Optics (very strong math skills) but can also draw very, very well and does have a keen eye for design.

Now I just gotta make what she wants and it is usually all that curvy, no square joints kinda stuff. I gotta lot to learn!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

WELCOME TO SMC Christine.!!!!!

Nice to have you here around the shade trees and mild running waters of the Creek. Keep those shaving a flyin' and post as often as you like. It's nice to have women post their perspective on things as well as their skills and idea. Makes for a nice addition to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Tiede
    Hey guys..... and Carole!

I've been lurking around for a month or so, learning from you all. My household is entirely different than you describe yours to be! In my home, I am the messy one in general. I am the one who in the past couple of years fell absolutely in love with WW... sawdust and all. My husband, on the other hand, can't stand "all that mess" and I'm sure he doesn't even appreciate the extra money I bring in with my WW because he can't see the projects instead of all that sawdust!! (that pile of shavings in the yard from my planing yesterday is absolutely driving him nuts!! I don't have a shop yet, but perhaps next year, so the wood is always in the yard!!)

I would really enjoy the time together if he did decide to look past all of that mess..... but alas, he can't. I suppose that the good thing is that I am the one in the house who looks after the purse strings, so that when I want a tool, if it's possible I generally get it sooner or later. (it goes without saying that I'm not even in your guys' league in respect to tools and the quality or quantity of them!)

Well, that's my 2c. It's great to meet you all !
    Christine
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Steyerman
    I just read your thread and thought I should reply. I received my first tool about 2 years ago. It was a palm sander. Well since then boys, my tool list has grown significantly. Not only do I have my own tools, I have my own corner of the shop that includes, my scrollsaw, both drill presses, 12" band saw, oscilatting sander and disc sander. I help my husband with his woodworking adventures and he graciously helps me with mine. He even lets me use his tools, like his chop saw.
    Hello Rosemary and WELCOME TO SMC!!!!! Nice to have you here and please post some pics of your work. That way, Tyler, a member of the Pic Police won't get you on a penalty for not posting pics with a post.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Steyerman
    I just read your thread and thought I should reply. I received my first tool about 2 years ago. It was a palm sander. Well since then boys, my tool list has grown significantly. Not only do I have my own tools, I have my own corner of the shop that includes, my scrollsaw, both drill presses, 12" band saw, oscilatting sander and disc sander. I help my husband with his woodworking adventures and he graciously helps me with mine. He even lets me use his tools, like his chop saw.
    welcome rosemary and continue your progress, soon you will have more shop space and tools and need a larger shop hope to see some of your project pics. and as for the rest of the replys looks like the score is 23 to 3 the ladies seem to be holding back, probally from those of us who feel that the shop is for men only i do see the need to have some time without them but i feel that if we are to make the family one we need to share as much as possibly. but i also know that you can lead a mule to water but you cant make him drink
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I'm Afraid to answer as SHE may read this