Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloateus Maximus

Talking Gloateus Maximus

Hammer02.jpg
    Got some power cord and connectors this afternoon so hopefully tomorrow I'll get both that and the casters installed. I may not be able to push any wood through it til next week though. I ordered a reducer from KB Duct, which has shipped but not here yet so hooking it up to the DC may not happen yet.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    That's purdy. Congrats!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

3. Congrats, Doug! There are quite a few of these in SMC stables now.

I don't know what kind of DC you have, but in some cases DCs with lots and lots of pull can make the thing scream pretty loudly. Just close the blast gate a bit to reduce the airflow; that works pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Hammer02.jpg
    Got some power cord and connectors this afternoon so hopefully tomorrow I'll get both that and the casters installed. I may not be able to push any wood through it til next week though. I ordered a reducer from KB Duct, which has shipped but not here yet so hooking it up to the DC may not happen yet.

Just ordered one of these myself a week or so ago...won't be here till February

Please post (or PM) more about your experience! Congrats on the new Hammer!

BTW- can you give more details on the reducer? I was wondering about the DC connection, just planned on figuring it out once it got here, but advance notice would be helpful.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Lazz; 11-06-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Doug, you suck!

I'm envious, I want one of those to replace my Porter for size and my DJ20 for convenience.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...........

Doug, I have a friend in Waterford, Roger Bohn, and I may run over there if I get a rain day as I am working on a house in Jackson and staying down here. If I do I'd like to run into you and drool a little on your new toy, sorry tool!

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 11-07-2009 at 6:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Just ordered one of these myself a week or so ago...won't be here till February
    BTW- can you give more details on the reducer? I was wondering about the DC connection, just planned on figuring it out once it got here, but advance notice would be helpful.

Nick
    I hear that. It was definitely the longest wait for a tool order that I've ever run into. I think I ordered mine the last week in July and it just rolled in yesterday.
    I've got 6" S&D PVC ducts/fittings on the drops and the machine (and flex hose I got from Felder to go with it) are 120mm. So I had KB duct make me a reducer to fit inside a S&D fitting on one end (6.25" OD) and sized for the 120mm flex on the other. I think it was $31.?? which didn't seem unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Doug, I have a friend in Waterford, Roger Bohn, and I may run over there if I get a rain day as I am working on a house in Jackson and staying down here. If I do I'd like to run into you and drool a little on your new toy, sorry tool!

Larry
    Shoot me a PM or email and let me know if you're heading down and I'll get you some directions.
    Use the fence Luke

Congrats on the new toy Doug.

Looks like the wait was worth it..

Well after a couple hours this morning, a borrowed engine hoist, some Footmaster casters, and some elbow grease, it's off the pallet and the Who's We're Going Mobile is playing in my head Time for a Siesta. I'm tackling the electrical next.
    Use the fence Luke

Congratulations, Doug. You'll realize now just what you've been missing all your life. Find some beautiful roughsawn wood and have it your way.

Post when you have run it.. Congrats on the new machine..

Felder/Hammer = Swiss watch quality , but cuts wood..

Well I think I have the electric done but I'm going to wait until I re-read the manual again before I try firing it up. Just want to make sure I haven;t missed anything for shipping that needs to be removed first. I also managed to get the digital readout and handwheel installed but I'm not clear on something. Anybody that has one of these know if the readout can be zeroed somehow? I didn't notice anything in the manual (I'll check again) but the one-pager that came with the wheel doesn't mention anything.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Well I think I have the electric done but I'm going to wait until I re-read the manual again before I try firing it up. Just want to make sure I haven;t missed anything for shipping that needs to be removed first. I also managed to get the digital readout and hand wheel installed but I'm not clear on something. Anybody that has one of these know if the readout can be zeroed somehow? I didn't notice anything in the manual (I'll check again) but the one-pager that came with the wheel doesn't mention anything.

Hi Doug, remove the digital gauge from the hand wheel, plane a piece of wood, then measure it with a caliper or micrometer.

Now turn the digital gauge in your hand until it reads exactly what you measured on the micrometer and install it in the hand wheel.

Regards, Rod.

Congrats on the new toy...it is a great machine. The digital clock can be zero'd out by rotating it as Rod mentions. I actually loosen the allen set-screw and turn it while it is in the aluminum housing -- that way I do not mess up the setting once I have it right.

Let us know how you like it after you have run some boards through it...

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Ferraro View Post
    ...I actually loosen the allen set-screw and turn it while it is in the aluminum housing -- that way I do not mess up the setting once I have it right.
    I was thinking of trying the same thing after I read Rod's reply. Thanks guys.

Well - no arcing, sparking, or smoke when I powered up so it looks like I'm up and running. Just have to wait on the DC reducer so I can make some chips. I was actually expecting it to be louder even with no wood running through so that was a pleasant surprise. All that's left is to finish putting the fence and table extension on and any adjustments that might be needed.
    Use the fence Luke

15. It's a nice whirring sound, isn't it?

I have 5" flex hose off a 6" main duct so I just used a band clamp around the outlet.

Where did you have yours shipped from, Doug? Did you order it from Illinois or Delaware?

Mine needed some adjustment. They have a setup and maintenance guide in .pdf which is used by their technicians that is orders of magnitude better than their "manual" (I put "manual" in quote because it's really just some pictures and translated text).