Thread: DOGHOUSE #4 and MIRROR FRAME

DOGHOUSE #4 and MIRROR FRAME

Thought I'd share some pics of the dog house my son and I built for his two dogs, made from rough cedar. Used a raised panel bit with the under cutter removed to Lap the boards.Took us a day and a 1/2, used a 15ga. finish nail gun this time and that sure did speed up the process, wish I had had one for the last three that I've made.

The other pics are before and after of the Frame made for our bathroom mirror. Made of Hard Maple and used a walnut dye as the wood, would not accept Minwax walnut stain, but the dye went on great. Then rubbed on 4 coats of wipe on poly, buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats. Used the Kreg jig to fasten the corners, and that worked out great.

Next project is a solid Walnut 3 panel headboard for a queen size bed.

Neat design on the doghouse, and I like the "Dutch lap" siding!!

Nice finish on the mirror, as well. The dye trick works much better on maple than does stain.

Awfully fancy door for a doghouse.

Very nice design on the dog house door Denis. That will keep wind from blowing directly into the house in winter. We used the same design to build sand-bag bunkers on the DMZ in Vietnam to keep shrapnel from mortars and 8" guns on the other side of the river from coming straight into the bunker.

Very nice effect on the maple with the dye as I have never used it. I am brewing up a concoction to ebonize maple with a rust-vinegar mix at the moment and may try some dye on maple or poplar to see what kind of effect I can get as the maple resist regular stain fiercely as you stated. That dye did an excellent job and I am a bit surprised even though maybe I shouldn't be.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler