Thread: Plywood from the 50's

Plywood from the 50's

I finally ripped a chunk from this old relic that has been in my shop for over fifty years. The plywood board was used as a work table top. It has a lot of, (sniff, sniff), history, including a lot of paint spills and spatters. Twelve board feet finished out the floor in my "lawn tool shed". I can't believe the thickness of the pine veneer on top "and" bottom. Probably A-B grade. I doubt you'll find a true 3/4" ply with this much integrity today. Actually, I'm ashamed I used it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Smile plywood

Phil- It is actually sad what manufactures call 3/4" ply today. At this rate in another 10-20yrs 3/4" will be a 1/4" thick. Industry will do anything to make a buck.
    - Kris

Phil, if you hadn't said the stuff was fifty years old, I would have suggested it were time for a new dial caliper...

Dave

Blog Entries

Ah the good old days

Too bad you don't have some 2 X 4's to go with that full thickness plywood.

Wish I was the marketing genius that convinced everyone that you could sell the sawdust you sand off by calling the wood that is left 3/4" plywood. Must have retired a rich man....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cool Ashamed?

Phil, you shouldn't feel ashamed for using it. (Rant "ON") The manufacturers should be the ones ashamed for ripping us off! True, the oil companies get us every single time they can. The utilities do the same. Heck, even the potato chip makers keep giving us bigger bags with less in them. The BIG difference is, at least, if the bag of chips goes from 1.85oz to 1.75oz, it's right there on the bag. They don't keep telling you it's 1.85oz. The last gallon of gas I bought contained 128 oz, even though it was 20 cents a gallon more than a month ago. Heck, in a way, *I'm the one* who feels ashamed. I feel that way for letting them sell me and then using something which isn't actually what it is purported to be! That being one of the reasons that, whenever I can, I buy rough and mill my own! (Rant "OFF")
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

That being one of the reasons that, whenever I can, I buy rough and mill my own!

Got any good vendors for rough plywood you wouldn't mind passing along?

Dave

Cool

Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle
    That being one of the reasons that, whenever I can, I buy rough and mill my own!

Got any good vendors for rough plywood you wouldn't mind passing along?

Dave
    Ooooooooo....A wise guy! Hey Moe, hand me that crowbar! OK, Dave, you *KNOW* what I meant. Sheeeesh. Thousands of comedians out of work and this guy's trying to break into the business!

At any rate, I try to make *real* sized boards myself and stay away from plywood if I can at all help it. I just think it's a crime. And then to add insult to injury, even the sizes we're getting ripped off on, vary within themselves from one big box to another and then are often different again when you visit your local lumberyard! The whole thing is just wrong on many levels, IMHO.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wink Actually...

Isn't that really 1" plywood from the 1950s?