Thread: Old plane info & values?

Old plane info & values?

I have a couple of old planes from my grandfather that I'm interested in finding out more info on:
    Stanley model 191 with a US Pat 3-7-10. It has most of the black paint, but a little rust. Also has an extra blade.

Sargent model 3422. This one is 22" long and looks to be in very good condition.

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

Try this for the Stanley:http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Can't help much on the Sargent.
    Tools from Granpa, Priceless.

Good Luck
    Keith

Thanks Steve & Keith.

Do you7 have some pictures? I'm sure it would help!

The Sargent is what's known as a transitional plane.
    It combines a wood body with iron/steel mechanicals.

I forgot to ask, does VBM appear on the toe and/or blade? That would help date it.

It's a jointer plane, the smallest transitional jointer Sargent made, they were available up to 30" in length.
    Sargent transitionals are very well designed. Better than Stanley's imo.
    The body is made from beech. The blades are very good steel, a bit thicker than Stanley's and generally a little harder too.

Transitionals had a comparatively short life. Stanley's appeared sometime around the 1880's and faded away by the 1930's - 1940's. Sargent's production was somewhat shorter than Stanley's having arrived later.

The sale value would be very condition sensitive. Not too many people place much value on transitionals in general and Sargent is less generally sought after than Stanley and some others.
    However, if in good shape it could fetch a few dollars as a user.

Transitionals are very nice user planes imo. Especially in the larger sizes where you can get greater length without as much weight compared to cast iron, yet still have the convenience of mechanical blade adjustment.
    Last edited by Bob Barkto; 11-08-2009 at 12:19 AM.