Thread: Laguna BandSaw Assemble Questions?

Laguna BandSaw Assemble Questions?

I was just wondering for all those that have purchased a Laguna bandsaw within the last say 1 or 2 years.(16'' or 18'' Italian saws only) How much work was it to set up? Including the ceramic guides and a Driftmaster fence system. I have heard that you must install the motor. Does the saw require more than normal set up compared to other comparable saws on the market?( I heard that the Agazzani come ready to go rightout of the box and are pre calibrated if purchased from Eagle Tools)And how did the assembly process go? Was it smooth or were there parts missing, faulty, or not lining up?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have a Laguna LT16HD and love it. It's a real workhorse. You do have to put the motor on but it's no big deal. Anyone could do it! The ceramic guides are also no big deal. I don't know anything about the driftmaster fence but after looking at it on the internet I wouldn't be too worried. A couple bolts here and there and you are probably done. The only help I needed was adding the power cord to the motor. I had a friend who knew more about electrical hookups than I do put it on for me. I've never bought a big piece of machinery that didn't need the power cord installed to the motor. They usually send it without since they don't know how you will be connecting it. (pretty standard i think)

All in all it is no big deal to set up. I was suprised to find out how low the work table was compared to our other bandsaw. Simple fix though, we just built a plywood box a couple of inches wider and deeper than the base about 5 inches tall and sat the bandsaw on top of that. 3 years later I totally forgot it was setting on that until we had to move it to get a drum sander in the shop.

If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    (16'' or 18'' Italian saws only)
    Well, I know you didn't ask about 'em, but the hardest part about my 14" Asian (purchased 6/09) was de-gooping the thing. An extra pair of hands would have been nice installing the motor though. The Driftmaster was pretty straightforward. Laguna does have videos on their website that cover set up of the various saws, and the installation of the Driftmaster as well. They also sent me a DVD in advance of the saw outlining set up.

I have the Laguna 18" Italian saw. Yes, you have to install the motor, which takes two very strong people. We first un-wired the motor, so we could separate it from the saw and cut down on the moving weight. The other thing that surprised me was that the machine itsel came unwired. I had to go out and buy wire, a plug, and some wire ends to hook it up. All in all, about 4 hours between delivery and start-up. A great machine, worth the effort.

I have a Laguna LT18. It came with the motor, table and fence disassembled. It was a good thing too. I had to get it down a flight of stairs to my basement shop. That sucker is HEAVY! and removing the motor and the table took a lot of weight off. But it was still so heavy it collapsed the wheels on the delivery truck driver's hand truck. Once we got it into the basement, it was fairly easy to set up and get running. You'll probably need some help installing the motor and the table. Did a mention that they are HEAVY! Great saw. Don't worry about the assembly. It's not hard.

Hank

I purchased an Agazzani about 2 years ago. it was ready to go and setup right out of the crate. I got it from Eagle Tools.

I have the LT18 purchased in 2001. Great machine and a heavy beast. All I had to install was the motor, table and fence assembly, and wipe off the goop. All this moving/lifting/aligning was done solo, in August, in 90 degree heat. It was a simple operation but if you can find it, get some help moving and assembling the rascal. Your back will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I was just wondering for all those that have purchased a Laguna bandsaw within the last say 1 or 2 years.(16'' or 18'' Italian saws only) How much work was it to set up? Including the ceramic guides and a Driftmaster fence system. I have heard that you must install the motor. Does the saw require more than normal set up compared to other comparable saws on the market?( I heard that the Agazzani come ready to go rightout of the box and are pre calibrated if purchased from Eagle Tools)And how did the assembly process go? Was it smooth or were there parts missing, faulty, or not lining up?

Thanks Richard
    Richard,

I can't compare Laguna to other bandsaws, but the set-up time on my LT-18 was faster & easier than my Jet tablesaw or my Shop Fox planer. My wife started the bolts while I held the motor in place- no big deal. You'll appreciate the build quality.

Eric