Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Triple Router Table build

Triple Router Table build

I wanted a triple router table after seeing the 3 spindle shapers like this one because swaping out the rail & stile bits for doors and the straight bit for drawer dado's is a real pain. I would rather have the stile and rail bits set and not have to worry with numerous adjustments.

The expense of these type shapers is a little more than I want to spend especially since I already have a good Delta single spindle shaper to run my Raised Panels. I figured I could build one for around a $1000 including the cost of the routers because I have alot of scrap ply and MDF from other projects, all I would need is the hardware and routers.

What I plan to do is have two routers dedicated to stile and rail bits and the other can be used for door edge profiles. My old Naum table will be fitted with a straight bit and do all my drawer dado's and as I said earlier the shaper will do the raised panels.

So here's some pictures of what I'm doing.

The top will be 2 pieces of MDF with Oak banding. The short sides are 18" and the long sides are 30".
    Table top1.jpg

I put the routers on the short sides so that there would be more room for the fences. There should be plenty of room for doing rails and stiles on the short sides.
    Table top cutout.jpg

I used homemade Oak cauls for gluing up the two top pieces.
    Caul1.jpg

Caul2.jpg

The Oak banding took a few clamps but I was able to get all my corners fit cleanly.
    edging2.jpg

I may have over screwed it but what the heck, screws are cheap and thats how I did my Naum table roughly 8-10 years ago and its still flat as can be in our Louisiana humidity.
    screws in.jpg

Next I sanded the Oak edging down flush with the MDF so my formica would have a good bonding surface.
    Sanding top.jpg

Rough sizing formica with a track saw with good zero clearanc inserts makes for a clean cut even with the formica turned right side up.
    Rough sizing.jpg

The routed top.
    Top routed.jpg

Here's a detail shot of the Oak edge banding.
    Top oak Edge.jpg

That looks pretty spiffy. I don't have room for something like that, but I can imagine it'll work great for you.

- Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

I used a scaled down version of the NYW fences because I like the way the fence works on my old table.
    Fence routed.jpg

This is the first time I've routed inserts this way, it worked out good but a template and pattern bit would work just as good if you don't have a track system. The track system just saves you the time of having to make a template.
    Plate inset rout.jpg

Here's the router insert cleaned out and ready for a plate.
    plate inset clean.jpg

Here's the top with the Hartville track set in place. I don't have the miter bar yet but it will mount in-between the t-track and the router. All the T-track and miter bars will probably be overkill but I got a great deal on the special Hartville was running for woodnet members so I splurged a little.
    Top insets 1.jpg

This is a closeup of the inset T-track for the fence.
    Top inset closeup 2.jpg

That is one BAD router table. I could only imagine having one of those. Looks like you have put a little thought into this. Have you though about what kind of routers and lifts you are going to put in there? Looks like fun to build, I just dont need one. Cant wait to see the finished product.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-13-2009 at 12:11 AM.

lot o' table

That is going to be a serious piece of gear there. Are you going to use router lifts in all three positions?

Blog Entries
    Very good execution Paul. Looking forward to more pics as you move ahead.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Very good execution Paul. Looking forward to more pics as you move ahead.
    Ditto what Glenn said.
    That is going to be awesome!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looking forward to more progress pics Paul.

Thats going to be one fine router table, or router tables....

Chuck and Keith
    I have been planning it for about two years, I'm glad I finally have the time to get it built. It will come in handy on the kitchen cabinet build I will be doing this winter.
    I already have two Freud 1700's for the rail and stile bits and I've been watching Ebay for a 3 1/4hp Milwaukee fixed base.
    I'm not going to use lifts for now, I want to see how the fixed base Freud and Milwaukee above table adjustments work. I have a Benchdog lift in my NYW table and am pretty spoiled to it so lifts may be in the distant future but I'll try it without them for now. I shouldn't be making too many adjustments at least not on the rail and stile setups.

Glenn, Bruce and Gary
    I will add pictures as I make progress. I've only seen one of these before and it was on woodnet and there was only one picture so I had to figure most of it out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    I may have over screwed it but what the heck, screws are cheap and thats how I did my Naum table roughly 8-10 years ago and its still flat as can be in our Louisiana humidity.
    screws in.jpg....
    LOL, Paul, you're a man after my own heart....They call me "Overkill Joe" cause I'm the guy who put 36 screws in the bracket for my under cabinet microwave!

That sucka' ain't goin' nowhere....That was 6 yrs ago and it's still flat as can be too!
    MWB1.jpg MWB2.jpg

Your triple table build is lookin' good!....I can't wait to see more pics.

Great job
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Hey Mike,

Looks like you had room for way more than 36 screws on that bracket. What fun is it if you don't run the battery down on your screw gun?

The only thing I've ever seen like that is the Greene 4470 table, which will set you back about $1500.00

http://www.routertabledepot.com/greene4470.html

I have to say I like your design better. Any possibility of sharing plans/drawings?

Thats an interesting table Wayne,

I think mine will function similarly. I don't believe the routers are included on the Greene table, which would be roughly another $500 - $600 depending on which routers you buy. I haven't kept track of everything because I have bought everthing over a period of time but I think I will be around $1000, routers included. The Freud 1700's cost me about $100 - $150 each and I will probably be using a 3 1/4hp Milwaukee for the third spot, they have been running around $275 - $300 on Ebay and the internet.

Mine will have both fence and cabinet dust collection as it appears theirs does also. My dust collection will connect at the top, theirs appears to come in from the bottom. I wanted everthing overhead so it wouldn't be in the way. It will be connected to my shop dust collection with a 5" duct. The 5" duct should service the cabinet and one fence at a time without any problem.

As for plans, I drew it up on a 2'x3' grided pad that I have attached to a drafting table in my shop. It's probably not something that would be useful to someone else. Think "Drafting Shorthand" and you will be close to the type plans I use. When I get done with the table I will try to put something togeather if your interested. Its kind of a work in progress.

That three-station router table is going to be great, especially considering that you will be building kitchen cabinets soon. Being able to leave the rail and stile bits in place is going to be a big timesaver as well as frustration saver.

I've only seen one other three-position table. It was made by a cabinet maker that I've seen on multiple forums. I believe his online name is Rebelwork.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln