Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a simple bass guitar....

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Manning View Post

My first guitar project for a friend. Mahogany and a lot of time.
    OMG HOW DID YOU KNOW MY BIRTHDAY IS TODAY!?!?!?!?!?!

i better give you my address so you can ship it on over here... haha

both of you are making some very nice instruments.. i always wanted to try to make a acoustic guitar... but i dont know the first thing about bending wood... so for now, i think my next project will be a nice elec. guitar for my dad.

Nice start to a guitar build. I built my first the past few months. I didn't know how much work it would be and how technical everything has to be to work. I took my time, spent hours on the net at guitar forums and the library. I used cherry for the body, bloodwood for the fretboard and maple for the neck. It's a telecaster style with a stratocaster carved body. I'm a woodworker not a guitar player so had to keep going to guitar center to check the specs. Good luck with your build. I am planning on giving this guitar to my son for xmas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey folks! I never made the deadline for my brother's birthday but that wasn't a it wasn't a big deal because he couldn't come visit till just a few days ago. I decided on a natural wood body with the bit of extra time I had, so I rebuilt the body out of curly maple and sapele. It's got General Arm-r-seal for a finish so it feels pretty natural when you're playing it. The neck was bought on ebay, but I built the rest and put it together. Hope you like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good... time to rock and roll!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Michael, that's a fine looking instrument. The lamination you did in the body is reminiscent of my Kramer DMZ-6000 guitar. I really like that effect!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

not bad at all

mike, i saw your pictures on facebook.....and........Damn!....awesome job.

Wow awesome job. How does it sound? I really like the lamination and 'racing stripe' look. I love the natural look on guitars, but the ones finished that way are usually the *most* expensive ones on the rack.

I hope my local ww'ing school offers the 'Build a Telecaster' class again soon, as I can see that becoming a lot of fun, both building, then playing.