Thread: Moving a Jointer

Moving a Jointer

When moving a jointer (already been assembled-store model) does it come in pieces or do you have to move it as a whole?

I'd take the bed apart from the stand. You'll still need a friend to help.

any chance of me moving in pieces to my workshed by myself?

Which jointer? A 6" jointer, possibly. I took my Ridgid out of the box in the garage and xported each piece to the basement by myself. The bed was heavy though. If you have a dolly, EASY.

PM 54a or a ridgid. no know yet, it is part of my decision (the moving it that is).

Nope - you ain't moving the PM on your own - it lists at 328#. You can take the "meat" of the jointer off the base, but that base prolly weighs only 30# or so. I don't think you'd want to disassemble the rest - too much work to reassemble and realign. I got a PM 60 @ approx 500# (the weight and heft was one of the reasons I bought it). It had to go down a steep stairway to the basement. Very easy - three really big friends, and one case of beer. The beer was at the bottom of the stairs - they moved like a trained rat in a maze.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Usually the bed unbolts from the base, and the motor will easily unmount from the base. The motor and base might not weigh much, but removing the base will make it much less awkward to move the bed.

No matter how you look at it, moving it in 2 pieces is the easiest.
    I use a 1 ton chainfall to lift things in to my trailer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My son and I just moved an 8" jointer on Friday to his new house. We tipped one end up and moved a dolly under it and tipped it back down and rolled it up some ramps into his trailer. It was heavy but we got it done. We moved his whole shop in one day.