Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

9 Nov 2009

Good Morning,
    The weather here has been GREAT and I've been able to get firewood split, stacked, yard work done, and get the shop cleaned up enough to where I have room to move around in it now.

Took the LOML out for a nice Sunday afternoon motorcycle ride in the country to admire the fall colors, warm temps, and just putzing around the various country sides and enjoying each others company on a ride we don't get to do very often.

Worked at the day job and it seems like our parking lots at work keep getting more and more "empty". Really makes one nervous to know how it's been in the past 10 years and to see how it is now is unnerving.!! If your local school has an International School Bus? Chances are that it was made right here in Conway, AR. They have announced just this past week that they will be closing down much of the plant and laying off about 475 people and keeping the rest of the plant to produce the buses in Tulsa, OK. December 31 will be the last day for the bus plant here.

Well, that's it for me. More stuff to do in the yard and in the shop this week. I've taken some time off work before I loose my vacation time, so this week will be spent getting everything done that I've been needing to get done for a very long time.

So what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis -

Other than the "regular" stuff (CCD for kids, church, etc), I spent most of the weekend outside cleaning the yard and putting stuff away for the winter. It was *almost* a shame to waste such wonderful weather, but at the same time it was great to be working outside without a jacket or sweatshirt. The kids had some friends over, so we all managed some outside time.

It's hard to believe we've already had snow this year - it was in the mid/upper 60's yesterday, nice and sunny, but a few weeks ago we actually had a small accumulation of snow. Classic "indian summer".

I did play around a little with my planer last night - I've had on-again/off-again snipe (very little, but still noticeable) with my DW735 and I think it had to do with swapping the outfeed tables whenever I took them off. I'm going to run some more experiments this week and hopefully post my results....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Saturday, laid in bed and read until almost noon. First time I've not had a busy day planned. Then LOML had an appointment so I dropped her off and went to Woodcraft to poke around, then stopped by my parents' to see the finished drywall.

Sunday we transplanted a bush from behind to in front of the house, I brush hogged beside the trails in the back part of our property, switched implements around to get ready for the first snowfall, put the window AC away, and generally straightened in the shop. In the evening I put in about 4 hours of work-work to get ready for a busy week.

It was a great weekend, I actually had some shop time.

I went to the sawmill and bought a sheet of 18mm BB plywood for doors on the shop cabinet, as well as some walnut and maple wood.

I made a ladder base for the cabinet including threaded adjusters (Propell nuts and 3/8-16 Hex cap screws).

I painted the concrete shop wall and set the cabinets in position, now it's time to make drawer fronts for the second cabinet.

Need to put up some French cleats and make some wall cabinets next.

regards, Rod.

I cleaned out the northwest corner of the shop and moved the new triple router table build to that side of the shop to make room for the kitchen cabinet materials that are starting to accumulate on the east side.

Saturday morning I changed the gear oil in my 20" Planer and did basic cleaning and lubing in preparation for all the Black Walnut that I'll be running through it. Also cleaned the filter on the Oneida Cyclone and emptied the bag in the chip drum. Went to Church Saturday night because the LOML and her friend are taking a day trip to New Orleans Sunday for some shopping and girl time.

Sunday, I started jointing and planing some of the Black Walnut that I picked up Friday. Had to take a break late in the afternoon to get a new Fax/printer connected to my parents computer. Then it was back to more jointing and planing until about 8pm, when LOML and her friend returned from New Orleans.

One day this week I'll be going to "Acadian Hardwoods" in Rose City Tx. to pick up the plywood for the kitchen cabinets. I couldn't believe the prices there compared to what I've be paying locally. For example they have 4x8x3/4 birch ply for $26/sht, the price here in Lake Charles is around $41/sht. Thats an amazing difference, considering their ply looks every bit as good as the local stuff.

I took pictures of the candy dish I made to send to my friend's website. That's as close as I got to any woodworking all weekend.

no ww'g.

I did go out and Quail hunted. However, 80 degree temps don't lend itself well for a good hunt.

It was still fun to watch the dogs work,

It wasn't much fun walking fence rows where really large tractor tire tracks/lugs made ruts everywhere we walked.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Well,

Thursday the carpeting was installed in the master bedroom and bathroom. So Saturday was spent moving everything back into the bedroom, sorting my clothes..one pile for Goodwill....one thown out and the rest into the closet. Did a little caulking on the baseboard in bathroom.

Sunday, watched a little football and touched up the paint in the bathroom that the carpet installers damaged.

Great-granddaughter Riley arrived from Phoenix. Paapaa and Nanny stayed up way too late playing with Riley. She'll be here the rest of the week.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I took a class on how to make a Maloof inspired rocker. Don't have a set time frame for when I am going to do this but am pretty excited to have learned some of the skills necessary for this project.
    -Ben

Well...Friday night did a little of what's in the picture. After coming home a bit richer, on Sunday I did some much needed sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Painting.

I had previously ripped-out a flower box at the store. They had hung it off some tongue and groove that backs-up the mt store's sign, and only used plastic garbage bags as liners to keep the water in the flower box.

So I found plenty of rotted wood (because garbage bags don't make good liners). Ripped out a bunch of the framing, replaced, and rebuilt the rest. Looked great, so I painted it all Saturday.

Then went home and started painting the garage. Finished that Saturday, and pulled-up what was left in the vegetable garden and turned the soil over w/ the rototiller. And mowed the lawn and cleaned-up all the leaves.

Got a lot done.

I got my new Griz 691 put together, wired up and running. Awesome machine.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!