Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long do you run your dust collector?

how long do you run your dust collector?

I recently purchased the Harbour freight 2hp dust collector.It works great and it does not make half the noise I thought it would. I don't have a remote for it and when I am using it, I might leave it run for 15 minutes at a time. Between cuts at the table saw and fit checks and setiing up the fence I just leave it run. Is this ok or should I turn it off after each cut?
    What do you guys do?

It's probably better to let it run, actually. When it starts up, the inrush current is significant, causing some heating of the motor. If you turn it on and off too often, you can overheat it (theoretically).

That being said, I've never actually worried about that I generally turn mine off if I won't be using it for more than about 3 minutes.

Mine runs only when it has some chip collection to do.

I leave my 3hp SDG running if I'm only going to be a minute or so between operations. When I finish a series of tasks and won't need it for a while, I shut it down. If I have an "oops" and need to turn it back on quickly, I leave it running for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't overheat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

The instruction that came with my Oneida cyclone suggests 6 starts or less per hour. It has a 3hp Baldor motor.

I am hopeful you upgraded the filter bag on that DC. The 5 micron filtration is way too coarse for safe dust collection... Having said that, I have the same dust collector, with a Wynn filter, and yes, I let it run between cuts. Maybe 10 minutes or so...

I have been known to just fire up the DC, keep it running while I am working, and then shut it off when I go back into the house. This is usually when I plan on doing a LOT of power tool work. No need for dust collection doing dry fitting you know!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have not bought the wynn filter yet but I will.Well I feel better about letting it run.Thanks for the help

I turn off the duct collection and the associated machine between non-repetitative cuts where some thinking and change in machine set-up is required.

I do this because, even with ear plugs, I find the machines noisy and I want the added advantage of quiet in the aid of my personal immediate and long term health and safety and not making a machining error.
    These considerations trump possible earlier motor failure (of which I am not convinced, in any case)

good luck

michael
    Last edited by michael osadchuk; 11-10-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: machine set to 'machine set up'

Quote Originally Posted by dave hunt View Post
    I recently purchased the Harbour freight 2hp dust collector.It works great and it does not make half the noise I thought it would. I don't have a remote for it and when I am using it, I might leave it run for 15 minutes at a time. Between cuts at the table saw and fit checks and setiing up the fence I just leave it run. Is this ok or should I turn it off after each cut?
    What do you guys do?
    My DC system is automated to turn on when a tool starts and has a time delayed shutdown. Right now, the time delay is set for about 4 minutes, give or take.

Generally it's better to let it run than to have frequent startup cycles. DC's have a fairly high startup load getting the impeller spun up to speed. That's much harder on the motor than letting it idle with the blast gates closed, and is the reason for the max recommended starts per hour reported by Paul.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    I have an automatic switch on mine that is activated by my TS. When I run the planer or shaper I have to turn the DC on/off manually. With that said, I rarely let mine run more than a minute or two after I finish a particular cut or operation.

A 2 Hp motor consumes 1.5 KW every hour it runs, so it costs about 15 cents per hour to run. Not a big deal unless you spend lots of time in your shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Mine runs only when it has some chip collection to do.
    Same here.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    This came up before so I queried my manufacturer. They state that the motor is such that other than purposely toggling the power on and off repeatedly (read abuse), they have no restrictions on length of operation, short or long.

In practice I run the DC while I'm making dust and generally for a short time after. If I am moving from one machine to the next, to the next, I will open the next gate, close the previous, etc. without shutting the DC down. I sometimes get lost in what I am doing and finally look up to see what that racket is and realize I still have the DC running and my respirator and headphones on ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Here is reply I got from the Gorilla himself. See #29

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101535

Jim

On/Off as needed. Sometimes it will run for an hour or 2

I use the same one for my laser. I will turn it on in the morning when I turn on my laser and let it run all day never shutting it off. I have been using it for about 4 years now and have never had a problem by doing it. Also some days may be any where from an hour to about 15 hours. It just depends on how busy I am.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.