Thread: A New Shop Completed, part 2

A New Shop Completed, part 2

Part 2:

Taping and mudding was the worst job of the whole thing. I don’t want to do this ever again, at least not on this scale. And it’s not “bedroom” quality either.

The priming with drywall primer went pretty fast. My wife did the corners, and I did the big spaces.

They resided the garage to make sure the siding matched

I didn’t want plain white, so I went with a Benjamin Moore yellow shade. $41 a gallon, but it covered in one coat.

To give the shop an antique factory look, I decided to cover the wall facing my deck out of brick instead of siding. At the suggestion of a member here, I bought a tool called a Bricky, which is a plastic jig that you slide along the top of a brick row to help lay down an even layer of mortar. It worked pretty well, especially for a complete novice like me. I started on a Thursday night, but really got going strong on a Saturday morning:

This was after two days of work:

By the following Saturday night, I'd got to the arches:

By the second Sunday night, the brickwork was done:

By this point, the electrician was hard at work. As you can see, I've got most outlets arranged in clusters of two or three.

More electrical stuff, plus the newly painted floor. I used a Rustoleum epoxy paint from Ace Hardware. Two gallons sufficed (barely) to do the 540 square foot floor.

After a six week wait, my operable clerestory windows arrived. But--they were a different size than the fixed windows. My contractor ordered 16 x 32's for both types, but the fixed windows was measured at the frame and the operable windows was measured at the glass:

My contractor is waiting for new, larger fixed windows and will install them at his (and the lumber yard's) expense. I'll still have to refinish the clerestory around the new windows, though.

Finally, move-in day. Here's my friends and I moving my 30" bandsaw. The door was big enough to roll it through, so no disassembly was needed. Six people worked out pretty good, though I've moved it with only two before. The black iron pipes marked up but didn't scratch the floor:

Getting the table saw out of the basement. Here, a friend and I are pushing it up stairs on a sled while two other folks pull up on the ropes. My Powermatic 1200 drill press was much worse than the tablesaw, but it and all the other stuff made it up without incident.

Final tour next.

Kirk

Oops, posted the the wrong segment!

That's some really nice brick work.
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Nice looking building. I didn't notice any brick ties. Did you use any? Did you not need them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Nice looking building. I didn't notice any brick ties. Did you use any? Did you not need them?
    Yes, I added them in as I went up, rather than putting them on at the start. They're every 3-4 rows.

Doing the brick was probably the most enjoyable part that I did--way better than the drywall, and much more interesting than the painting or insulation. I had a couple hundred bricks, a bag and a half of mortar, and a ton (literally) of sand left over. So now my wife has plans for planters and stuff.

My feeling is that the brick fulfilled my expectation, but that a real mason could have done it in a third of the time with better results. However, you'd have to be fairly close (say, 4 feet) and know what you're looking for to see those better results. So far everyone who's seen it in person has either really liked it or kept their criticism to themselves.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    ...Doing the brick was probably the most enjoyable part that I did--...
    ... a real mason could have done it in a third of the time with better results.
    Kirk
    For me, having fun is almost as big a factor as time/cost/quality in the make/buy decision. It sounds to me that you made the right choice to do it yourself.

Everyone on here seems to hate to say it, but there is a point at which a project is good enough. If it takes expert inspection from close range to identify any problems, then I'd say that your results are more than good enough! From where I'm sitting they look fantastic. Congratulations on probably the most attractive shop buildings I've ever seen.

Very nice shop Kirk, I really like the clerestory...nice touch! And some nice old and heavy tools too.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

Kirk:

That looks great! Can you provide some details on the electrical setup?

Each "drop" has the 2 black outlets "stacked" and a horizontal run to some white outlets.

What's the story on that layout/configuration?

I'm years from having a shop but always interested in what the others have done.

Cheers

Jim

What an excellent workshop. Well done Kirk great job.
    Regards,
    Al

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images...d/rolleyes.gif

Very nice shop!

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

If thaT'S YOUR FIRST TRY @ BRICK WORK, YOU DID excellent!!!! Whole shop looks good.. Good Job!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    Kirk:

That looks great! Can you provide some details on the electrical setup?

Each "drop" has the 2 black outlets "stacked" and a horizontal run to some white outlets.

What's the story on that layout/configuration?

I'm years from having a shop but always interested in what the others have done.

Cheers

Jim

(Let's try again, without accidentally dumping my writeup this time...)

The overall layout minimizes the veritcal conduit and allows me more wall space. The white outlets are 120V, each with a GFCI outlet. The black outlets are 240V, some single phase 30 amp (L6-30) and some three phase (L15-20 and L15-30). I have a hundred amp subpanel for the single phase stuff and the lights, and a separate 60 amp circuit off my main to a smaller subpanel in my garage that powers my rotary phase converter.

The horizonal runs for the 120V outlets was just because it was easier to do. The spacing is dictated by the wall studs. All the boxes are standard 4x4 boxes, and most (except the low black outlets) are 5' off of the floor. so far that's a good height, though some plugs want to pull out due to the weight of the cord. In a couple of cases I've ziptied the cord to the horizontal conduit to take the strain off of the plug.

I think most people will agree that's a fair amount of power for a one person shop.

Kirk