Thread: One More Craftsman Plane...

One More Craftsman Plane...

Here is another Craftsman plane, an adjustable mouth block. I have one of the older, made-in-the-USA bench planes (probably made by Sargent). Recently saw this block for sale; any idea on worth/reputation/desirability of this type of plane? Thanks for your input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. I see them all the time, usually with a box and from the early 60's, not a period known for well made planes, and usually virtually unused. I have to suspect there's a reason for that. Folks think the box makes them worth money. I could have a dozen of them if I would pay $15 each, but I pass them by all the time, not worth the trouble as Stanley 9 1/2s are out there for $25 to $35 and I know they work.......

Sears planes made in the 50's and marked Craftsman have some merit (likely made by Sargent or Millers Falls), but these, no, walk away.

Thanks for taking the time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec View Post
    I see them all the time, usually with a box and from the early 60's, not a period known for well made planes, and usually virtually unused. I have to suspect there's a reason for that.
    I think the reason is the average home owner of the time may have had one sticking door or drawer and went and bought one of these to take care of it. Thinking there would be another use down the road, it was put back in its box and put on a shelf somewhere awaiting the day it would be needed again.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got one exactly like it, and it's a nice block plane...the name typically brings a lower price, so they can be a good value. I don't know who makes it, but it looks an awful lot like my Record 09-1/2.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the exact same one. I paid $20 for it at a used tool shop nearby. It was easy to flatten the sole and tune up. The adjustments are a bit crude, but I enjoy using the thing alot.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think the reason is the average home owner of the time may have had one sticking door or drawer and went and bought one of these to take care of it. Thinking there would be another use down the road, it was put back in its box and put on a shelf somewhere awaiting the day it would be needed again.

jim

Yeah, you may be right, as most I see have paint scrapes on the sole and an iron that was never sharpened.....

I have one I bought from Sears in 74-75? when I got started in carpentry. It has been a good serviceable plane that I still use. I don`t remember the original price but I got my moneys worth. I also have a Yankee style screwdriver from J.C. Pennys.