Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Prize on my Doorstep Today

Found a Prize on my Doorstep Today

Just got home from work and found a USPS Priority Mail box on the front porch. In it I found the most beautiful bowl turned by Kevin Gerstenecker for LOML. I had asked Kevin if he would turn it for her out of a curly maple blank I had bought at Mike Mastin's on the way to the this year's CSBBQ.

Kevin took the blank home with him and produced this lovely bowl. The photo does not do the figure in this wood any justice! My wife is going to love this.

Thanks again Kevin...You are the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Absolutely beautimus! Very nice. Size, finish and other particulars please.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very nice. But Waymon, why did you let Kevin have all the fun turning that wood, you watched everyone turn just as much as I did at the BBQ.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Waymon, I am VERY relieved that the Bowl arrived OK. I have been worried about it since Angie mailed in on Monday. It was MY pleasure to turn that wonderful piece of wood for your Wife. To know that the bowl will be appreciated and admired was just a bonus for me. Thank YOU Waymon for trusting that Curly Big Leaf Maple to me for a gift for your Wife. That, to me, is the ultimate compliment. To be fair to Waymon, he also had a wonderful blank of Cocabola that he offered me in exchange for turning this Bowl. I didn't feel right taking it, as I was happy to just be able to turn something for a great guy, who I knew would appreciate my effort. Thanks for that nice blank Waymon..................just don't be too surprised if that Cocabola Bowl doesn't show up where you least expect it!

NICE pictures too Waymon...........and you are right, as good as your photo's are, it doesn't do the beauty of that figured wood justice. That is VERY nice!

I was looking forward to finally seeing this piece, Waymon. (And Kevin) Very, very nice!!

Very nice Wayman, Kevin does do good work on a lathe
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Sweet! I think I might recall some of those blanks Waymon brought for us to drool on. I'm still waiting for the camel to arrive with the bowl Mr. Peacock kindly finished up for me and mailed out. Dennis??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Sweet! I think I might recall some of those blanks Waymon brought for us to drool on. I'm still waiting for the camel to arrive with the bowl Mr. Peacock kindly finished up for me and mailed out. Dennis??
    Tee-Hee-Hee!!!!!

I got your bowl. It is now dry from the three coats of BLO and if you want a clear coat on it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll get it shipped to you this week.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hmmm, I have no clue...should it be clear coated? If you think it would be best, go for it. I guess I can stop looking around the porch now.... BTW, I have some of that glue Michael Perata was talking about...he brought by some samples for me to play with. When I get the bowl, I'll send you a small sample. This is the two-part kind.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hmmm, I have no clue...should it be clear coated? If you think it would be best, go for it. I guess I can stop looking around the porch now.... BTW, I have some of that glue Michael Perata was talking about...he brought by some samples for me to play with. When I get the bowl, I'll send you a small sample. This is the two-part kind.
    Chris,

It will take me 3 days to get the clear coat on it. I'll be using shellac and will apply it via padded shellac. Makes for a nice finish on the bowl and won't feel like plastic. That's the finish I had on the BoxElder bowl I brought to the BBQ at Terry's. I don't know if you saw it there or not, but I can post a pic tomorrow if you need to see what it looks like before deciding.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Chris...I'm thinkin' it might be a burro instead of a camel that brings your bowl...

Kevin, beautiful work! The pics are very good, but I'd sure like to see that in person. You coming to the October BBQ Waymon?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Chris...I'm thinkin' it might be a burro instead of a camel that brings your bowl...
    Ha-Ha.....Hey Kelly....We DO have horses around these parts. I may have to send Chris' bowl via stagecoach!!
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Absolutely beautimus! Very nice. Size, finish and other particulars please.
    Michael, Waymon can give you the particulars on the size of the Bowl, but I can offer some insight on the turning and finishing process. The bowl was turned using only my Ellsworth PM Bowl Gouge. I picked up the PM gouge on the way home from the BBQ at Woodcraft, and I used it for the first time on Waymon's bowl. I thought that was a fitting way to break in the new gouge...........on a wonderful peice of wood like this one! The bowl was so smooth when I finished turning it, I started sanding with 220 grit. I power sanded it lightly with my Sioux angle drill using a 2" new wave sanding pad and new wave sanding disc's. After power sanding LIGHTLY up to 320 grit, I removed the bowl from the lathe and lightly hand sanded up to 1000 grit. It didn't take more than about an hour for the entire sanding process. After sanding, I wiped the bowl down, and applied a soaking coat of Watco Natural Oil. I just follow the label directions on the Watco, and it works great every time. It has become my favorite finish for Bowls. (I thank Bill Grumbine for the Watco tip.............it is awesome, and the bowls feel SO good when cured.) After the finish cured for a few days, I lightly rubbed the bowl with a white synthetic 3M Pad. Not that the bowl needed it, it was already as smooth as a baby's bottom!

I have to say I was VERY careful, focused and nervous all at the same time while turning this bowl. (Now, THAT is a strange emotional feeling!) I just did what came naturally, and all was well in the end. The LAST thing I wanted was to have something happen to this nice blank, but things turned out very well. Taking my good, sweet time, it took about an hour to turn this bowl, to the sanding stage. I was VERY happy with the results..........and it made me feel REALLY good to do this for Waymon and his Wife! Does it get any better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna

Kevin, beautiful work! The pics are very good, but I'd sure like to see that in person. You coming to the October BBQ Waymon?
    Yep - I'll be there...
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

I figgered you did Dennis, but burro sounded better...

I look forward to seeing that bowl Waymon! Thanks for the insight into the process Kevin,
    it's very cool that with turning you can finish the project quickly. I may have to get me a lathe someday.