Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Jointer G0586

I,m also in the process of deciding on a 8" jointer and am considering either the g0586 or the g0490 or the Shop fox 1741.My other option would try to find a Delta DJ-20 used.
    One of the reasons for considering the DJ-20 is that I think that the 3HP motor on the grizzly and the shopfox is over kill .(wasted energy)
    The four knife head on the Griz and the Shopfox means means sharpening 4 knives instead of 3 and according to the article in Finewoodworking is a non issue as far as finish is concerned. Also there seems like there should
    be increased resistance from making 21,000 cuts per minute vs. 16500.
    I also was looking for a used powermatic 8" Houdaille but the people who have these machines want $1200+ for their machines.
    Would those of you that have experience on these machines address my concerns. Thanks Barry

Barry,
    I have the Shop Fox 1741. I am completely happy with it. I was orginally going to get the G0490, but I found a better deal on the 1741. The tables and fence were flat. I put a Byrd head in mine because I hate changing blades and it is great. I can't imagine what the DJ-20 could offer, at 3x the cost, that my 1741 hasn't.

+2 for G0490

I went through this same decision six months ago with much help from SMC (thanks). I considered, and then purchased, the G0490X (spiral) vs. the G0593 (the spiral version of G0486). I think the other spec comparisons are same for 490 vs 586.

I considered the slightly bigger cutterhead (3 3/16” vs 3 1/16”), added HP (3 HP vs 2 HP), built in mobile base, and taller fence (5” vs 4”) all in favor of the G0490X.

How could bigger not be better, right? ;-) Seriously though, I didn’t see any downside to bigger specs on G0490 over the G0593. The built in mobile base on the G0490X compared to adding one to the G0593 makes the prices almost the same. I do use the mobile base on occasion. My shop is medium/small so for jointing long boards I move it out to the middle of shop, but for anything less than 4-5' it can stay by the wall. That might not factor into your decision.

I have been very happy with G0490X (and spiral cutter head, for what that's worth). I have a local friend who has the G0593, which I used before I bought my G0490X, and that works very well too. Personally, I do notice and like the taller fence on mine. I can't say I notice a difference in the outcome of the boards as a result, but I prefer it.

Hope this helps,
    Rick

magnetic switch

leaning toward G0586 but would need to change out the magnetic switch for 110V. I have the 110V 20 amp circuit set up for it.

Any ideas on how much trouble it is to review the new switch in for 110v?

Thanks

Brian